Old and Rare Breeds

Quote: I think Cackle has higher quality birds than Ideal, neither would be the best start though.

Cackle has approached the American Spitzhauben Club about getting better birds to improve their stock. I think it's marvelous that a hatchery actually cares about the quality of their stock.

Saladin can you describe some of the requirements for keeping Malays? I know I don't have the experience at this point, but I can't get them out of my head, and am hoping in 2-3 years maybe I'll be up to the challenge. Meantime I would like to know what I can do to prepare.

Understand this is just my opinion. I'm sure there will be someone who reads this and says, 'I do it just the opposite and it worked for me.'
What I'm giving you is what I have personal encountered.

Malays need to develop slowly. Not to much protein. They also do much better in a large run (say 1/2 acre or more) or totally free-range. The problem is not with the females but the males.

Requirements for raising the males (as I see it):
1. Plenty of access to grass.
2. Plenty of area to run and develop leg muscles.
3. Not to much protein.
4. Plenty of sunshine.

Cackle has approached the American Spitzhauben Club about getting better birds to improve their stock. I think it's marvelous that a hatchery actually cares about the quality of their stock.

Absolutely! Cackle seems to be a very conscientious business, it's still a real family business in fact, where the owners take an active hands-on interest in their breeding stock.

Best - exop

Understand this is just my opinion. I'm sure there will be someone who reads this and says, 'I do it just the opposite and it worked for me.'
What I'm giving you is what I have personal encountered.

Malays need to develop slowly. Not to much protein. They also do much better in a large run (say 1/2 acre or more) or totally free-range. The problem is not with the females but the males.

Requirements for raising the males (as I see it):
1. Plenty of access to grass.
2. Plenty of area to run and develop leg muscles.
3. Not to much protein.
4. Plenty of sunshine.

Are Malays like the rest of the orientals (Shamo, Asil for clarification) and cockerels need to be separated at an early age (and obviously kept that way) or are they not as aggressive?

Last edited:
Possibly, but Shamos don't typically have these problems; nor have I heard of them in GaNoi.

I think it's because most of the exhibition Malays (which are the only 'real' ones) are highly inbred. Most existing lines today can be traced back to one old line: Henry Millers.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom