Old and Rare Breeds

After you have had your visit with him, it would be nice to hear about. Maybe if he lets you take pictures, you could share them on here?

Come on now Saladin, we're not ALL that bad. Some of us try to be brutally honest.
Lacy,

Hyperbole, nothing more than hyperbole.

So here is another question on the histories, are bantam versions of Orientals considered to be the same age as their large counterparts or are they older/ younger? I dont think the orientals were part of the push back in the 50's and 60's to make bantam versions of all the accepted standard breeds (though I think that would have been neat to see esp the Jersey Giant bantams) Were they originally used as game birds? Especially when I see a good quality Malay bantam, that isnt as heavy but is, the same height as the Asil large fowl

Honest answer: it all depends on which breed you are talking about and where it is located.

For example, in the States a Bantam Shamo was created. In Japan there is a Bantam Shamo, but it is not the one we have in the States. If I remember correctly this is the Nankin Shamo. The Ko in the States is considered a separate breed. Someone with more Japanese experience should really be making these comments and not me. My knowledge of Shamo is limited really to one particular strain of Shamo in America.

Bantam Malays are a pretty recent creation.

i new to this thread. however i will start at the beginning and catch up. there is a gentleman named Wilford Kittle i am going to see him in march. Wilford is a rhode island red man . he is the man responsible for putting the reds back in Germany after the 2nd world war. Wilford is 96 and been breeding since 1945. i can not wait to here his history on the rhode island red.

Welcome to the thread, Bruce H!
I would love to hear that history as well.
Angela

I added Dorkings last year and am very pleased with how they turned out (this strain anyway!). Rare snow in the south, and they thought it was toxic! LOL
They are almost 8 months old.

Thank you!

I started down a disappointing path with McMurray Silver Greys and then 2nd generation Sandhill stock. THEN I was told that the "old" Roger Tice birds were the way to go. I contacted Rudy Troxel and VOILA -- REAL Dorkings LOL

Back
Top Bottom