Old and Rare Breeds

I just now saw that. On this board I generally just look at two or three topics that I'm interested in. I did post in the ducks and geese what I was bringing and the dang post was locked because it was called an ad. I suppose it was, but I wanted to make sure to catch the eye of anyone interested in high-quality waterfowl and not the run of the mill junk I generally see posted here on BYC. It's a real shame that folks have paid real money for some of the ducks and geese they have when they could have had nice ones for the same amount of dollars or less.

My youngest son raises some of the best Muscovy in this country and sells adult birds for under $30. I just wanted to make sure folk knew he was bringing some to the Unifour Show. Oh well, I guess those who make it to the show will see them.

Too bad I cannot find anyone going who would bring me some stuff that I could buy from them. Saladin I made a Unifour thread but I did not get any responses. I made it a while back to see who all was going.

you already said that you didn't want cubalayas or game chickens so i don't think saladin could help you. what kind of game chicken did you say that you raised in the past? you should be able to find plenty of swedish flower hens at a local chicken swap if thats what you are looking for.

Quote: It takes quite a bit of time and money importing directly into the US. If you are importing something that is already here you will probably not see much of the money you put into it back. If you import eggs, you might not have too great of a hatch. I was told that in one of the original Orpington Importations, the people were sent 100 eggs and only got a pair out of it. My suggestion Canada.

I thought your statement about Greenfire farm was that if you do it it would be easy to get your money back out of it. I really need to get on here more.....

I just now saw that. On this board I generally just look at two or three topics that I'm interested in. I did post in the ducks and geese what I was bringing and the dang post was locked because it was called an ad. I suppose it was, but I wanted to make sure to catch the eye of anyone interested in high-quality waterfowl and not the run of the mill junk I generally see posted here on BYC. It's a real shame that folks have paid real money for some of the ducks and geese they have when they could have had nice ones for the same amount of dollars or less.

My youngest son raises some of the best Muscovy in this country and sells adult birds for under $30. I just wanted to make sure folk knew he was bringing some to the Unifour Show. Oh well, I guess those who make it to the show will see them.
I'm glad to hear that your son has done so well with his muscovy, and that he sells them at a reasonable price. You must be proud of him. It floors me when I see a single bird or a pair of birds that go for over $100. I like a good representation of the breed in my birds but at some of the prices that I have seen people ask for non show quality/ breeder quality birds, I wonder how they sell them. But I chalk it up to "each their own". I just can't see paying $100 or more for a bird that in all reality can be dead the next morning for no reason at all. But that is just how I feel.

What all will your son be showing at the show, if you don't mind me asking?

It floors me when I see a single bird or a pair of birds that go for over $100. I like a good representation of the breed in my birds but at some of the prices that I have seen people ask for non show quality/ breeder quality birds, I wonder how they sell them. But I chalk it up to "each their own". I just can't see paying $100 or more for a bird that in all reality can be dead the next morning for no reason at all. But that is just how I feel.
For us, we have been burned so many times by people that want dun sumatras for a good price, then turn around and bash our farm for no reason. That is why last year we only kept the best dun sumatras to sell for breeding and sold the culls to the local Hmong people for eating. I will admit, we have sold dun sumatras for $150/bird and still had the buyer complain about the shade of dun.

But there are many more times when we'll give away great birds to a 4-H kid that shows interest. A good example is the bantam polish I got last year. I was buying good birds at the fall shows for the local kids (most birds at fairs here are hatchery) and I saw 2 pair of buff laced polish bantams. I gave one of the roosters to a peewee kid who carts him around everywhere and kept the trio. I decided that I don't want to sell any of the chicks, I plan to give them away to get some exhibition poultry interest going. Way back when I first started, one of the top breeders of white wyandotte bantams let me pick a trio of his young stock out of his top 3 trios. He had been selling them for outrageous prices but gave them to me on the condition that I turn around and do the same when I get going with good birds.

That's nice to hear about those polish. It's always amusing to me to see kids carting their birds around like that... and the bird patiently enduring it all.
My kids decided to do this with some hen raised silkies that were probably around 7 months old. Now they can do whatever they want with them. My youngest DD swings with hers, pulls her in a wagon and even pushes her in a stroller.

Quote: LOL It's funny to me how some people complain about a bird they bought. I always think to myself, if it's that bad why did you buy it? Speaking of the shade of dun, could one be too dark or too light? I know there is no standard in sumatras for that color yet. My kids will start showing in the fall 2014 season. If any of them stick with it long enough and produce good enough birds, I hope they will help other newcomers out like you and many others are doing as well.

Back
Top Bottom