Old and Rare Breeds

Though y'all might enjoy this.

The following article was a finding from our friend Willem from Ganoi, i found it very interesting and thought it would be a great addition to our forum so our members can enjoy, hope you guys like it.
Please comments and any more info in the matter are welcomed.

Radiocarbon and DNA evidence for a pre-Columbian introduction of Polynesian chickens to Chile.
Two issues long debated among Pacific and American prehistorians are (i) whether there was a pre-Columbian introduction of chicken (Gallus gallus) to the Americas and (ii) whether Polynesian contact with South America might be identified archaeologically, through the recovery of remains of unquestionable Polynesian origin. We present a radiocarbon date and an ancient DNA sequence from a single chicken bone recovered from the archaeological site of El Arenal-1, on the Arauco Peninsula, Chile. These results not only provide firm evidence for the pre-Columbian introduction of chickens to the Americas, but strongly suggest that it was a Polynesian introduction. Argument about the origins and date of introduction of the domestic fowl or chicken (Gallus gallus) to the Americas has raged for over 30 years. Despite claims that it might be native to the region (1), it has never been recovered or reported from paleontological, Paleo-Indian, or, until now, prehistoric archaeological contexts in the Americas. A Portuguese or Spanish introduction to the east coast of South America around AD 1500 has been suggested (2), but when Pizarro reached Peru in 1532, he found that chickens were already an integral part of Incan economy and culture, suggesting at least some history of chickens in the region. Consequently, there have been numerous suggestions of a pre-European chicken introduction to the west coast of South America (3–5), in which both Asian and Polynesian contacts have been proposed (1, 4, 6). Here, we provide the first unequivocal evidence for a pre-European introduction of chickens to South America and indicate, through ancient DNA evidence, that the likely source of that introduction was Polynesia. This evidence has implications for debates about ancient Polynesian voyaging capabilities as well as those addressing prehistoric population interactions and exchange. This study also presents the first published ancient DNA sequences for chickens providing valuable data for researchers concerned with the loss of genetic variation in modern domestic stocks (7).
The Indo-Pacific origins of the Polynesians are linked to Southeast Asia through the Austronesian expansion and particularly to the Lapita culture that first appears in the Pacific ≈3300 years before present (B.P.). Lapita colonists moved rapidly through eastern Melanesia to Samoa and Tonga by ≈2900 B.P. Beginning ≈1500–1000 B.P., the settlement of East Polynesia began, probably from Samoa, with colonization of Hawai'i by 1000 B.P., Easter Island by 800 B.P. and New Zealand by 700 B.P. Polynesians introduced dogs, pigs, rats and chickens to many of the islands they settled (8). Chicken remains first appear in Vanuatu and Tonga between 3000 and 2800 B.P., where they are associated with Lapita sites (9, 10), in Niue (11) from ≈2000 B.P. and in early occupation layers throughout most of East Polynesia (8).

Source: Article (2007) by The National Academy of Sciences of the USA

Introduction
The origin of the domestic chicken has been under debate for centuries [1]. Not only has the geographical center of the first (and possible additional) domestication event remained contentious [1]–[3], but because several closely related species of junglefowls exist in South Asia (Figure 1), the possibility that chickens originate from multiple wild ancestors has yet to be eliminated. On the basis of observed character differences and cross-breeding experiments, Darwin concluded that domestic chickens were derived solely from the red junglefowl [4], though this was later challenged by Hutt [1], who stated that as many as four different species of junglefowls may have contributed to chicken domestication. Molecular studies of mtDNA [5] and retroviral insertions [6] have supported Darwin's view. A study that analyzed both repeat nuclear elements and mitochondrial sequences found evidence that grey and Ceylon junglefowls may hybridize with domestic chickens, but did not provide evidence that these two species have contributed to chicken domestication [7]. To date, no studies have compared gene sequences associated with a specific phenotype found in domestic chickens across numerous wild junglefowls and domestic breeds.

Article (extract) from Eriksson J, Larson G, Gunnarsson U, Bed'hom B, Tixier-Boichard M, et al. (2008) Identification of the Yellow Skin Gene Reveals a Hybrid Origin of the Domestic Chicken.

Additional graphics http://www.plosgenetics.org/article/slideshow.action?uri=info:doi/1...

Gallus
Giganteus
At present day no other scientific evidence has been found regarding the ancestors of Malayoid type of gamefowl. Scientific research and evidence for the moment only points in the direction that the species Gallus gallus (wild Red Jungle Fowl) is the ancestor of all our fowl. We must live with that for the moment. The Dutch scientist Conrad Jakob Temminck (1778-1858) launches the theory of the Gallus Giganteus as he received from the island of Java (Indonesia) some very large poultry bones (from the foot). But these bones were not enough as scientific evidence to proof the existence of a giant Malayoid poultry breed.

Indus Valley Civilization
The earliest traces of civilization in the Indian subcontinent are to be found in places along, or close, to the Indus River. Excavations first conducted in 1921-22, in the ancient cities of Harappa and Mohen-jo-daro, pointed to a highly complex civilization that first developed some 4500-5000 years ago, and subsequent archaeological and historical research has now furnished us with a more detailed picture of the Indus valley civilization and its inhabitants. Though ate Indus valley script remains undeciphered down to the present day, the numerous seals discovered during the excavations, as well as statuary and pottery, not to mention the revues of Indus valley cities, have enabled scholars to construct a reasonably plausible account of the Indus valley civilization ....... A large number of dice of various kinds have been discovered, it shows that they were very fond of playing dice, hunting, fishing, bull-fighting and cock-fighting were some other means of amusement for men.........The Indus valley people were peace-loving people who enjoyed various and comforts of life. Some of their achievements are really. Remarkable and they have left a heritage of which we are really very proud. About the contribution of the Indus people, Dr. R.K. Mukherjee says, “The Indus valley people gave to the world its earliest planning, its first architecture in stone and its fine example of sanitary, engineering and drainage works. To them also belongs the credit for producing some of the earliest specimens of pottery kames the labour force of animal for man's utility.

by Syed Danish Hasan (2008)

There is a la Fleche thread going with pics of birds a Long Horn Poultry got from Ideal. Coming up to his first breeding season. I've also been writing back and forth with a few people lately about this very interesting breed. From what is being said by those recently obtaining stock none of it is going to be what we'd want in all respects with size often lacking. The advice given, which echoes Saladin's, is to get what can be gotten and start breeding and culling like mad. It's not a breed that is going to progress in the hands of someone who wants to keep a trio or so and ship out most of what they hatch. This breed will require breeding by those who want to regain some of what there used to be. Years ago in Canada I handled large, long and extremely solid bodied birds that did not have Minorca infusion as far as is known. There were, even back then and not far from where I stood in Ontario, birds that had been infused with the Minorca breed cross for size. But they are not right in all ways and it usually shows. A much more recent exhibitor showed large, very handsome birds but... Jack Barnes in Hiram, Maine might be able to ship something. They won't be massive but in other ways they will be right unless something has changed which I doubt. He's been with them for too long. There is a picture of a Barnes male on the La Fleche thread. Stuff from Urch has been fine but again comments from those who tried that about size. I don't know what comes from Glenn Drowns at Sand Hill but a breeder who has worked with this breed in the past still considers that as a viable source of a decent start. There sure seems to be more interest in this breed right now than there has been in years. It may be that a decent if not spectacular start is all that anyone is going to get at this point. As long as the genetics are not so stagnated that there is absolutely no variation in size if enough are raised and only the best and largest retained progress, while maybe slow, should be possible. [email protected]

Quote:
Does your Orloff have white/cream shanks?

He has Yellow Shanks.

Chris

Okie dokie, thanks! Mine has a white/cream shanks. If I can find our camera charger I will try to get some pics of him put up
smile.png

I have ADHD (untreated for medical reasons). It means I'm always going, "That's a cool chicken!" I'm having trouble settling on what kind of chickens I want to get when I'm ready to expand my flock. Sometimes it's Brabanters I want. Sometimes, it's speckled sussex. Sometimes, it speckled Orloff. Sometimes, I think mottled Houdan would work. Sometimes, I want blue and green eggs. As you can see, I have a thing for speckled chickens, also crests and beards, but I also want eggs. In the end, it will probably boil down to what is available when the time comes.
hmm.png

Since all chickens produce eggs, I'd say get 2 or 3 different kinds and see which ones you actually like best. If you are in Europe then no trouble with the Barbanters, if in the States I doubt you find any.

Back
Top Bottom