Old and Rare Breeds

This is an interesting discussion. I'll add my 2 cents, from the perspective of a backyarder who does not show/breed and knows more about history in general that chicken history.

I would suggest dropping Ancient. That suggests a period of time that may be too far in the past to be correct. The "ancient" chickens I suspect would be the first efforts to domesticate jungle fowl and would be lost to history.

I also don't like the term "Traditional," which is not really a historical period and is vague about what time and breeds you mean.

I would also substitute the word "commercial" for "industrial", since "industrial" reminds me of the "industrial revolution," an earlier period. I think "commercial" is a better description.

So, building on what's already been done, I would suggest this:

Early Foundational (Dorking, OEG, WFBS, etc..)

Late Foundational (La Fleche, Ancona, Crevecoeur, Hamburg, Minorca, Lakenvelder, Dominique, etc...)

Victorian Composites (through turn of century) (Plymouth Rock, Wyandotte, Orpington, etc...)

Early Commercial ( RIR, NH, Barnevelder. etc...)

Late Commercial (Delaware, Holland, etc...)

Frankenchicken (Cornish X, Sex Links, etc)

(Okay, maybe you don't need the Frankenchicken category
wink.png
)

Last edited:
Quote:
The thing about the term, "Commercial" is that it is used already used, to refer to fowl that hatcheries sell and production type breeds as in Sex-links, Cornish cross, Production reds etc.

Chris

Quote:
Your comment concerning 'traditional' is well taken. The Industrial Age was exactly what I was refering too. Most historical references give it as occuring from the mid-18th century thru the mid-19th century. Many of the composite breeds created at that time (and shortly thereafter) became the breeds on which modern agriculture relies.

The word 'foundational' could easily be substitued for my word 'ancient.'

The Modern Era covers the 18th thru the 20th century and is then subdivided.

Still this is all good. Please continue the conversation. Whether I agree or disagree is not the point. You are each helping me to clarify my position. Hopefully, it will be one that is functional, simple, and as correct as possible.

In all honesty, I would love to limit the 'Ancient' breeds to those birds with a history before 1 AD. To qualify a breed would have to have some historical reference in either literature or art.

To my knowledge, which is hopefully still expanding, those breeds would be:

Asil
Game
Dorking

(On a sidenote: the Egyptian Goose would also qualify: as would the new world Turkey; so would Guinea fowl, which are perhaps the oldest domesticated breed of fowl).

It would be useful to add some dates bracketing each category. I realize they'll be somewhat arbitrary and identifying the precise year a breed emerged will also sometimes be challenging.

Very interesting analytical approach so far. Can't wait to see the final product and in which category each breed falls. Nice work.
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
In my original post I did do that; others have just suggested words or broken down the categories and did not add dates.

What about this?

Ancient Breeds: dates to 400
Medieval Breeds: 400-1599
Modern Breeds: 1600-1844
Victorian Composite Breeds: 1845-1900
20th Century Breeds

Several have suggested Industrial Breeds (early and late) for the breeds created in the 20th century. I understand what you are trying to say; however, that is historical inaccurate and what we are trying to do is produce something that is accurate. We do not want to find ourselves bogged down in another 'heritage' type quagmire.

I'm still open to suggestions. As requested by stoneun. please use dates with your references.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom