Old and Rare Breeds

you all in the south are lucky that is all you need..up here we have to have more protection. My coops are all walkin types, 2x4 framed, with full insulation and OSB on the inside..the next coop we build will be of SIPS panels, which is a OSB with a styrofoam inner layer 1/2" thick and then an OSB layer like an OREO cookie..extra strength, and great insulation.
It gets COLD here.
I do envy your nicer weather..

Refering to the bold type: I have senveral hybrids, and the more I breed them the more I believe that Grey and Ceylon and Green Junglfowl all contributed genetics to domestic chickens. From my experience especially with my grey hybrids in particular. I believe every E-locus other than b b red originated with some other junglefowl.

I think Darwin was badly mistaken on this one.

Quote:

wclawrence,

I agree very much with possibility multiple wild species in background of domestic chickens. Some breeds may have different ratios of the different wild species.

Getting to real point with your grey jungle fowl crosses. Do you keep them free range? Do roosters help with brooding chicks? Some of my American game roosters can be manipulated to become broody but hoping to find a way to get a line of roosters that will have to be manipulated to do so. My understanding is that wild grey jungle fowl are like bobwhite quail where male will take over rearing of chicks so hen can more quickly start another brood.

I have some of the F2 roosters and a few F2 hens on freerange. And they do great on freerange because they have retained a lot of wildness.

Most of them are put up though for their own protection. (I want to breed from them) The F1 rooster did not have any broodiness about him at all. Though he did go thru an eclipse like a grey junglefowl. They are real talkative, especially with their hens. And are pretty gentle with them as well. The hens are crazy mothers that will defend their chicks, but not in the usual chicken way (frontal assault.) She will make her "freak out" noise and the chicks will scatter, then she tries to keep your attention. The chicks also act different, preferring to go hide quietly rather than "peep peep peep" all the time. They come back out when the hen quits her alarm.

Quote:

wclawrence,

I have seen many of the brood protecting behaviors in my games but never all in same birds. Some hens will do killdeer thing to lure predator away from chicks. IF hen makes certain noise, then chicks freeze and hunker down waiting for hen to give all clear sound.

Some of our games used go through an eclipse during early summer. I think it is retained from red jungle fowl inputs. It may be more widespread than many think as with ours that exhibited it, the trait would not be noticeable if it were not for the much darker under feathers that are exposed as long hackles were dropped. Birds from families showing eclipse molt always had skinny necks during summer. I hope trait not been lost as I trying to resurect our family line.

Last edited:
I too have seen gamefowl that eclipse. In fact I had one last year. A friend knew I would be interested and gave it to me. I gave it away, I do not want my birds to eclipse ( the red feathers are much more pretty)

Quote:

Quote:

The eclipse molt seems to be an advantage when it gets hot during midwestern summer. Disadvantage likely due to selective breeding for looks. Our birds with eclipse moult could also be grey.

I don't see any advantage as far as heat goes. During eclipse, the rooster sheds the bright feather and puts in black ones with round tips instead of pointed. The same amount of feathering is there. The feather structure and color is just different.

Back
Top Bottom