Old and Rare Breeds

I would think the reduced volume of plumage, feathers being shorter, would enable faster dumping of heat. The cameflouge value seems limited, otherwise it would look more like that of a hen. Another possible advantage, although to me unlikely, is that eclipse plummage can reduces weight and drag restrictions on flight. Hens of my line do seem stronger fliers than roosters, so rooster might make up part of difference by going into eclipse plummage.

I just rented incubator space to a woman raising games, and had to lockthem down in seperate baskets due to different breeding, great hatch, and I must say, these are the most beautiful chicks I have ever seen.
50801_feb_24_2011_014.jpg

50801_feb_24_2011_012.jpg

I delivered her chicks to her today, through the blizzards we have had here lately (even here at sea level) and she is in love with me and gave me another bucket of eggs to hatch~~~Pumpkin Hulsey, Grey, and some blacks, of which out of two eggs, 1 hatched and she is thrilled !!
I am not into games, so this black baby is something special ?
I dunno..I just hatch !

They are athletic as well as cute. Hands down my favorite charges. I prefer hen raised over incubator hatched in part to confinement issues with squirrely little critters.

Black games are not abundant. Likely because not enough breeders were involved in their development for gaming purposes. They are also not as visually appealing as other color types which is, despite statements to contrary, a factor influencing which lines persist over time.

Quote:
Chris,

In the Dec 2009 Backyard Poultry I first called for a more accurate way to classify poultry other than heritage or heirloom. I believe, and still do, in both accuracy and in utilizing recognized historical time periods. I wrote:

Ancient Fowl (existing before 1600)
Modern Fowl (1600-1845)
Industrial Fowl (1845-1940)

(I used the date 1845 because that was the date of the first poultry show. This happened, as you are aware, during the Industrial Age).
Examples of the breeds classified would be:

Ancient Fowl breeds:
Asil
Old English
Dorking

Modern Fowl breeds:
Crevecoeur
Dominique
LaFleche
Sussex

Industrial Fowl:
Brahma
Cornish
Orpington
Rhode Island Reds

I did not classify breeds created after 1940.

Ancient - ; that happened, began or existed in former times, usually at a great distance of time. This term could be considerd appropriate for the first classification.
Modern - pertaining to the present time or time not long past; recent; not ancient or remote in past time. 1600's, 1700's may be considered a time long past, depending on perspective.
Industrial is not a description of time, but type, use or purpouse. "Industrial age" is a description of what went on in a period but does not describe when that period fell in history.The birds of the period you describe are birds of industry but the description is not consistant with the other two terms.
The terms are not consistent in their usage.
It is just a humble opinion, but I like it in four periods.
Ancient, Historical, Modern, and Contemporary(living at the same time or in the same time period)

On the other hand . . .
Heritage - an estate that passes from an ancestor to an heir by descent or course of law. The term heritage can be used to describe all breeds of poultry up to the contemporary breeds and still be considered accurate. I am not particularly fond of the typical use because it does not make a clear distinction.
Heirloom - The same problem as above. It is an item that is passed down. This could happen in a single generation however, so it does not make a distinction of a period of time.

Just what I think.

Redcaps !
thumbsup.gif
Very old ! Very rare !

Here are a couple of old poultry prints of the Redcap breed from J W Ludlow. A great poultry artist of the past.

79674_003.jpg

79674_001.jpg

Redcap Farm

Quote:
Hi Chickielady
As of right now I don't have any Redcaps
sad.png
. I do have a order for 25 Redcap chicks from Ideal Poultry that should be shipped from the hatchery on 03/16/11 . I will post pictures of them as soon as I get them
smile.png

Redcap Farm

I really love seeing someone dedicated to such rare breed.

I just REALLY hope you find some non-hatchery birds out there. The search is very much needed and worth it. I've heard reports of a Redcap showing up at the Ohio Nationals a year ago. . . I'm sure there's some worthy, old, and true to type stock out there!
smile.png

Quote:
Hi Illia
I am searching for a Redcap breeder but have had no luck in finding one. So just to get a start I placed a order for 25 chicks from Ideal Poultry. I may be wrong but I am beginning to think Ideal Poultry may gets their Redcap chicks from Murray McMurray Hacthery or got their start from them in the past. I would not be surprised if Sand Hill Preservation did not get their Redcap start from Murray McMurray also. Being that Murray McMurray has had the Redcaps for a very long time now most of the Redcaps here in the States may have come from them at some point and time. This is just my opinion and like I said I may be wrong. Please let me know what you think of this and please correct me on anything I am wrong on.

Redcap Farm

Back
Top Bottom