Old and Rare Breeds

The Pyncheon breed goes back to the middle 1700's here in America.....very old American breed.
69973_pyncheon_pullet.jpg

Quote:
Oh, yeah, I remember Mr. Drowns' name from when I visited Sandhill's website. It's been too long though and I had forgotten
tongue.png

I've considered joining the SPPA before, and still am considering it now. Ever since I knew about some of its activities, I've been impressed by its drive to preserve rare poultry. However, I don't know all the specifications and qualifications for joining. This may sound absurd, but I am not sure if there is such a thing in it as "club dues" or something, and in my current budget I just can't afford to pay dues. If you or another SPPA member could fill me in on all the things I need to know before joining, I'd appreciate it very much.
smile.png

I understand about the size/layer point you brought up. It's quite logical, now that I think about it. It reminds me somewhat of IDEAL's Leghorns: since Leghorns aren't too large or too small, and since they lay like crazy, the extra male Leghorns that IDEAL sent me are looking pretty impressive today. Definitely coming along better than the other breeds I ordered. If I go the Kraienkoppe route, I think I'll try your suggestion and get like 15-20 Kraienkoppe babies, cull hard, and see if I can get anything workable. Then, if time and budget allow, I'll see about getting the same amount of chicks from Sandhill, culling hard, and crossing the two lines to see if I can attain the breed's standard, as you suggested
wink.png

BTW, I wanted to thank you again for that Kraienkoppe link you gave me. It has been quite helpful, especially since I found a copy of the Dutch/German standard for the Kraienkoppe on that link. I plan to use it in my breeding project.

Quote:
That's a beautiful bird, Pyncheon guy. Love the little crest and the Mille Fleur pattern.
Do Pyncheons breed true? I mean, do they pass along the same color pattern and physical features to their young? Just wondering. Wasn't sure if they were an actual breed or a landrace fowl like the Icelandic chickens.

SPPA dues are $15 a year.

For that you'll receive the Breeders Directory (largest of it's kind published in the US/Canada), 4 lengthy Bulletins and the chance to participate in meets.... a real steal.

Send dues to the sec/treas with your name and snailmail address.

SPPA
Dr Charles Everett
1057 Nick Watts Rd
Lugoff, SC

All the officers are volunteers. Sometimes it takes a 3 or 4 weeks to receive your materials. It all depends on the sec/treas. schedule. Usually, turn around is 2 weeks.

Quote:
Thanks! Fifteen bucks a year doesn't sound bad at all. And what with the bulletins and breeders' directory, I think it's worth it
wink.png

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a snailmail address? I assume it is my residential address?

Quote:
Thanks! Fifteen bucks a year doesn't sound bad at all. And what with the bulletins and breeders' directory, I think it's worth it
wink.png

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a snailmail address? I assume it is my residential address?

The breeders directory will be great for you. $15 is not much for what you will get....you will spend more than that looking for breeders.

Walt

Quote:
I have a question and am not sure where to ask it... I hope it's ok to ask it here. What is the average price a buyer will have to pay, at that show, for breeding stock?

Unfortunately, I can't go to the show. I have a couple people who are going to be there, looking for birds for me. One is, hopefully, bringing a roo for me, but he hasn't told me the price. I have hired someone else to transport the birds back here to CA. I have to send some money with them and I have no idea how much I should send. I might not even be able to afford this, but I have to get some good stock!

I know that prices are going to vary, but could you give me a price range or guesstimate?

Thank you,
Kim

Stephanie1992, is that a bantam blue andalusian? We raise them.

We have a couple of very old hard to find breeds
LF and Bantam White Faced Black Spanish
Nankins in RC and SC
Vorwerks (bantams only)
bantam Blue Andalusians

Back
Top Bottom