Old and Rare Breeds

Quote: Handsome bird!!

I can see where birds were altered from these more wild types to the modern types. THe modern types were developed in a protected environment. where most of the predators where eliminated and farming provided most of the feeds rather than a bird that hustled. Each cannot do the others job.

I didn't realize crele was a black barred coloring. Handsome rooster.

I am starting out with Appenzeller Spitzhaubens and Cream Brabanters. Both breeds have similar combs, body types, nostrils, and crests. Both breeds have small gene pools in this country. What do you think of out crossing between the two to decrease the in breeding? Now, don't everyone jump on me at once.
A year and a half has passed. I thought I would give you an update. After all your good advice, I let circumstances lead my breeding plan. Out of the half dozen Brabanters that hatched, I had one male and five females. I kept the best three females. One of the pullets had beautiful spangling and crest, but no beard. I decided fate was telling me something and put her in my Spitzhauben pen. I took her best looking son and crossed him back to his pure Spitz aunts. I have just hatched a batch of his chicks. In the spring, I will choose the best of the males to breed back his pure bred great aunts. That hatch will be 7/8 Spitz. I will keep the best pullets (the ones I have will be getting kind of old) and breed them back to their father, unless I find a nice Spitz rooster to replace him with.

The same thing happened with my Spitzhaubens. I hatched one pullet with a beard, and put her in with my Brabanter rooster. Her son will be crossed back to his aunts next spring.

The intersting thing is, if I had more room and wanted to, I could breed cream Spitz and silver Brabanters. Both are available in Europe, but not here.

Last edited:
cool.png

Very challenging to work with a limited number in a gene pool. Have you considered a rotational breeding pen system? Might decrease your inbreeding.
The problem is room. I live in the city on half an acre. I'm out of my mind doing breeding at all. I belong to the Spitz and Brabanter clubs on Facebook. At some point, I'll trade eggs with someone to bring in some new genes. I might even splurge on a Spitz cockerel from Greenfire Farm which just imported Spitz from Europe for the first time in sixty some years. GFF has also brought over some Pavlovskaya chickens. They are a parent breed of both the Spitz and Brabanters. They look like a Brabanter with feathered feet. I could breed one of those to my Brabanters.

The problem is room. I live in the city on half an acre. I'm out of my mind doing breeding at all. I belong to the Spitz and Brabanter clubs on Facebook. At some point, I'll trade eggs with someone to bring in some new genes. I might even splurge on a Spitz cockerel from Greenfire Farm which just imported Spitz from Europe for the first time in sixty some years. GFF has also brought over some Pavlovskaya chickens. They are a parent breed of both the Spitz and Brabanters. They look like a Brabanter with feathered feet. I could breed one of those to my Brabanters.
work with what you have I say. keep the hen chicks and try and find more eggs or birds . what you hatch swap the roosters

A lot of people start out with a trio of birds to start up a strain. You can cross them up many different times/ways before inbreeding becomes an issue. What you have to watch out for when breeding close relatives is bad traits not necessarily the close gene pools. When you add in a new blood line/gene pool it could possibly set you back from where you are, so be mindful of that too. Save something that is already working for a rainy day so to speak. (right Walt?) thought so.

Jeff

A lot of people start out with a trio of birds to start up a strain. You can cross them up many different times/ways before inbreeding becomes an issue. What you have to watch out for when breeding close relatives is bad traits not necessarily the close gene pools. When you add in a new blood line/gene pool it could possibly set you back from where you are, so be mindful of that too. Save something that is already working for a rainy day so to speak. (right Walt?) thought so.

Jeff
yes I agree.
That is what I am going to do with my White Empordanesa, they are so rare very few people have them. I plan on doing that while still trying to find more every chance I get it will not slow me down either

Jeff
My Spitzhauben strain came with good crests, spangling, and body type, but also a deformed toe nail issue (middle toe, left foot), and pale legs ocassionally.. I don't keep any chicks with those traits. I hope both will stop appearing in the not too distant future. I bought Spitz eggs from a local person, but ended up selling all but one. My birds were much better. The one I kept was the bearded one I crossed with my Brabanter rooster. Her sons are quite handsome.

Good Brabanters are even harder to find than good Spitzhaubens. I'm hoping the outcrossing with my Spitz will improve their spangling and crests.

Last edited:
Appenzeller Spitzhauben
Cream Brabanter

You can see why I couldn't make up my mind and had to have both.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom