Old and Rare Breeds

Good luck with your project I like seeing folk work with the rare breeds, shows moxie, LOL
smile.png

Jeff

I'm reading the thread with interest. I have a nice flock of Columbian Wyandottes .

At this point in my reading I have not seen mention of the Belgian Malines (Mechels). Where would these bird fit in to the system?
Recognized in 1898. They were bred in the USA once imported. The bird is a good dual purpose bird that makes a good table bird because the extra down allows the fat to be distributed thru the meat instead of just under the skin.
I saw that the are still bred in Belgium and the Netherlands and in the UK and that there may be aCalifornia breeder.
Do any of our folks here know where I could acquire eggs or hatch?

Last edited:
I'm reading the thread with interest. I have a nice flock of Columbian Wyandottes .
At this point in my reading I have not seen mention of the Belgian Malines (Mechels). Where would these bird fit in to the system?
Recognized in 1898. They were bred in the USA once imported. The bird is a good dual purpose bird that makes a good table bird because the extra down allows the fat to be distributed thru the meat instead of just under the skin.
I saw that the are still bred in Belgium and the Netherlands and in the UK and that there may be aCalifornia breeder.
Do any of our folks here know where I could acquire eggs or hatch?
neat. I do not know but if you think there is one in california. try the Norcal thread or California whole state thread

I am at a loss, and need expert advice. I'm not sure what my next step is in developing Cream Appenzeller Spitzhaubens. I really just intended to do some outcrossing for genetic diversity, but, while there are cream Spitz in Europe, there aren't any in the USA, and I'm under pressure from the Spitz club to go for it.

I have two pure Spitz hens, one pure cockerel, one Spitz/Brabanter pullet, one Spitz/Brabanter cockerel, three Spitz/Brabanter/Spitz pullets, and four Spitz/Brabanter/Spitz cockerels, and Lulu, the beardless Cream Brabanter, who started all this. Who do I put with whom?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Quote: Don Schrider used rotational breeding to revigorate the buckeyes. YOu clearly recognize the value and need to use more blood. Perhaps you can regularly trade with another good breeder.

Bob talks about keeping a few birds but every once in a while he mentions picking up another bird--from another breeder.

I am at a loss, and need expert advice. I'm not sure what my next step is in developing Cream Appenzeller Spitzhaubens. I really just intended to do some outcrossing for genetic diversity, but, while there are cream Spitz in Europe, there aren't any in the USA, and I'm under pressure from the Spitz club to go for it.

I have two pure Spitz hens, one pure cockerel, one Spitz/Brabanter pullet, one Spitz/Brabanter cockerel, three Spitz/Brabanter/Spitz pullets, and four Spitz/Brabanter/Spitz cockerels, and Lulu, the beardless Cream Brabanter, who started all this. Who do I put with whom?

Thank you.
Hakkerm This is beyond my abilities with chickens, so my offerings come from breeding other livestock in general. THe basics--each animal needs clear identification. A journal to record the breedings and the id number of the offspring, and a record by photo and notes of the birds.

The best I can do is ask a few questions and see if that leads you to an answer. What was the purpose of mixing the breeds? I think you saw a need to improve something in one that the other had , right? Did the offspring from the cross meet that goal? A little or a lot? A few or many? Do you need to repeat the cross to add more specimens that are closer to goal?

Is this helpful?

Back
Top Bottom