Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Whats a PB?

how about Delaware, Australorp, White leghorn
and later if you cross your leghorn with your Araucanas you can make "Super Blue egg layers" because the blue is dominant.
PB is peanut butter. Cadbury chickens lay peanut butter eggs. They're my favorite, next to golden eggs. Does anyone know what breed lays golden eggs? I've been waiting for my ship to come in, but I'm starting to think it sank. Time for Plan B.
big_smile.png

Re-posting this. Can anyone answer my question? Thank you!

I have a coop with the same sort of thing. Hard to build a separate pen for broody's..... So I build a pen around my broody or put her and the nest in a cat/dog kennel. This way I have the best of both worlds. Momma and chicks can have their space and I dont have to worry to much about the other girls. If they arent bugging her now, I wouldnt worry to much!!

Well our chicks are due to hatch sometime this weekend, today is day 18. I went home at lunch and my broody was out running around with the other chickens. I ran to feel the eggs and they weren't cold. As I was in the coop she came back in and sat down. I guess she knows what she is doing:) We are moving her tonight to the floor under the nesting box that we screened in. I plan to keep here there for a couple of days after the chicks hatch then open it up to let her and the chicks out. The spot is pretty big so they will have room to move around, eat, drink, etc. I am so excited to see the babies!

I have a coop with the same sort of thing. Hard to build a separate pen for broody's..... So I build a pen around my broody or put her and the nest in a cat/dog kennel. This way I have the best of both worlds. Momma and chicks can have their space and I dont have to worry to much about the other girls. If they arent bugging her now, I wouldnt worry to much!!

over the last few years I have had probably around 100 broody's. All were raised with the flock with no separate broody quarters.

Thank you both lindsay & stony! I do appreciate your answers. I will stop worrying! I swear these chickens have given me more gray hairs than both my children!!

Back
Top Bottom