Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

I've really enjoyed reading everyone's experiences with their broodies. My broody, Winnie, was killed along with the almost all of the rest of my flock two nights ago by dogs. It looks like they got into the coop, then wreaked havoc, killing everything that they saw. I have one 8 mo old LF brahma pullet that looks like she MIGHT make it and one of her 6 week old offspring that I'm pretty sure will make it, although she'll be blind on one side. The older pullet is in pretty rough shape. Anyway, I'll probably unsubscribe to the thread since I don't have a broody anymore and probably won't get one for while.

The upside is that I have 10 in the brooder and 30 in the incubator, so perhaps it won't take me as long to rebuild my flock as it originally took me to build it the first time. The bad thing is that my silkie mix broody was the best, and they are very difficult to find. I'll start working on my search for another broody and then I'll come back.

bumpercarr.... I am so sorry this happened to your flock, there are just no words to express how horrible it must have been for you. I really hope you don't leave the thread though, Unless it is too painful to read of others having broodies, I would understand that reasoning... but I also feel the experiences you did have with broodies would be invaluable in guiding others who have questions on a daily basis. Many of us here stop by regularly and try to answer questions for current broody owners, even when we don't have any birds setting ourselves... so keep in mind your experiences can really help others and stop back in when you feel you can!

bumpercarr.... I am so sorry this happened to your flock, there are just no words to express how horrible it must have been for you. I really hope you don't leave the thread though, Unless it is too painful to read of others having broodies, I would understand that reasoning... but I also feel the experiences you did have with broodies would be invaluable in guiding others who have questions on a daily basis. Many of us here stop by regularly and try to answer questions for current broody owners, even when we don't have any birds setting ourselves... so keep in mind your experiences can really help others and stop back in when you feel you can!
X2... stick around.
hugs.gif

I've really enjoyed reading everyone's experiences with their broodies. My broody, Winnie, was killed along with the almost all of the rest of my flock two nights ago by dogs. It looks like they got into the coop, then wreaked havoc, killing everything that they saw. I have one 8 mo old LF brahma pullet that looks like she MIGHT make it and one of her 6 week old offspring that I'm pretty sure will make it, although she'll be blind on one side. The older pullet is in pretty rough shape. Anyway, I'll probably unsubscribe to the thread since I don't have a broody anymore and probably won't get one for while.

The upside is that I have 10 in the brooder and 30 in the incubator, so perhaps it won't take me as long to rebuild my flock as it originally took me to build it the first time. The bad thing is that my silkie mix broody was the best, and they are very difficult to find. I'll start working on my search for another broody and then I'll come back.
I am so sorry to hear of your loss...that is truly tragic. (Darn dogs!)

Hope to see you back in the "brood" again real soon.
hugs.gif

Lady of McCamley

Quote:
Geese work great if the dogs are intimidated by their hissing and posturing. But they're just as vulnerable to attack as other birds. They just go down fighting.

It would take a while to train a good guard dog, but you might be able to get one that is already trained. Lots of people need to rehome their livestock guardian dogs for a variety of reasons. You would need to have your property fenced, if you don't already, but guardian dogs are a great source of security. They are capable of taking and dishing out an amazing amount of damage, as they were developed to fight off wolves. They are fearless and WILL NOT back down from a threat. For me, the biggest disadvantage to a livestock guardian dog (LGD) is that they do bark a lot. They can be trained to only bark at actual threats, but until then they tend to bark at everything that moves -- sparrows, butterflies, raccoons, attack dogs, eagles, deer, cats, everything they perceive without any filtering. Their main goal is to scare away threats, and to fight them off only if they aren't intimidated by the loud bark. Most of them are very loyal to respectful owners, but don't have a high desire to please people. They don't have a retriever personality. Some can be aggressive, so you have to be selective about the dog, and dominant in the relationship but very respectful. These dogs are very intelligent and want to work. They often do best as working pairs. My favorite breeds are Anatolian Shepherds, Turkish Kangals, Maremmas, and Black Russian Terriers, but there are many others that are also fabulous. (The Maremma may have too much hair for New Mexico, but the Anatolian and the Kangal were bred for work in a hot climate, and the Black Russian Terrier is often groomed short, so they would all do well for you.) If you are interested in one, there are many LGD rescue organizations that may be able to help you find the right one, as well as breed chat groups, etc . If you get a puppy from a breeder, the inherited portion of the puppy's behavior is influenced more by the mother than the father, so it's best to get a puppy from a mother that loves guarding chickens, as chicken protection is specialized work that not every LGD will enjoy. Many people get an already trained adult, and then get a puppy that the trained adult dog can help raise and teach it how to do the job. That's the easiest option for people who are new to LGDs. Alternatively, you may be able to find an excellent guardian dog for a shelter, but it's more of a risk. But even non-traditional breeds can be excellent guardians. I know someone who uses Standard Poodles to guard her chickens, although they probably wouldn't do as well as a Kangal in a fight, especially against a Pit Bull.

I don't know any Anatolian or BRT breeders, but can get some referrals for you if you're interested. Just PM me. Here is a link to an excellent Turkish Kangal breeder in GA: http://www.shadowwingsfarm.com/Index.html. That site will give you a lot of information about the breed also. I don't know if they ship puppies or not, but they may be able to give you a NM referral if you're interested.

Please do come back to this thread when you're up to it. You'll be missed, but I do understand why you have to leave for a while. What happened to you is so sad.

Bumpercarr I am so sorry to hear about your terrible loss! I have a very large Lamancha goat that came with our house a year ago (seen in my photo). His stall is next to the chickens, he lives with and pastures with them and is territorial. He chases off anything he sees as a threat and is big and scary looking. The nice thing is that he wants to do pretty much the same things as the chickens at the same times. They even enjoy the same kind of snacks. The chickens know he is their protector and the flock follows him around the pasture grazing along side him. In an area where our neighbor lost half of their flock to predators, I have not lost a single chicken to a predator in over a year, thank God. I do not know if every (neutered) male goat would serve in this way but I would say it is worth looking into.

Now a broody question...Has anyone had success with having two or more broodies hatch eggs side by side. I am planning to move my 2 broodies into a modified, predator proof stall and set them up side by side. One will be in a dog crate and the other in a small nursery coop inside that stall with the stall itself secured. My plan is to have the doors to the smaller pens open so they can share water and food but each have their own space to return to. This also could be helpful as I can separate them should problems arise. Has anyone done something similar? My hope is that they can be a happy little sub flock and help each other with the babies. Is this a naive hope? The two hens have gotten along prior to this.

Now a broody question...Has anyone had success with having two or more broodies hatch eggs side by side. I am planning to move my 2 broodies into a modified, predator proof stall and set them up side by side. One will be in a dog crate and the other in a small nursery coop inside that stall with the stall itself secured. My plan is to have the doors to the smaller pens open so they can share water and food but each have their own space to return to. This also could be helpful as I can separate them should problems arise. Has anyone done something similar? My hope is that they can be a happy little sub flock and help each other with the babies. Is this a naive hope? The two hens have gotten along prior to this.

Some birds coparent very well, and others kill each other's chicks, and trample their own in the process. It really depends on the two individuals. If you decide to take the risk, it's kind of a take it slow, monitor closely, and be prepared to change plans immediately if it doesn't work out situation. Fisherlady has posted quite a bit about her two broody sisters that a coparenting the brood. Just go back a month or so on this thread. The pictures are adorable!!!

Back
Top Bottom