Old fashioned Broody Thread for Ducks

Ugh.. that is so disheartening, i really have not quite figured 'Junior' out yet, it's big but is feathering really fast more-so than the drakes i had last summer @ 3-4wks... It's hard to get a good picture, it's really scurry's off, it's keeping up very well and the other birds have accepted it nicely.
yesss.gif

I can show a cute pic I got of it and mama and i am pretty sure dad(spot) I apologize for the largeness but it's hard to see otherwise and I didn't want to get to close and loose the short(just using my cell lol) Mama is right behind baby(Junior) and spot is to the right..

BEAUTIFUL PICTURE

Mama may try to fight with Dudley if quarters are close. They are so protective of their babies.. so just keep an eye on them, plus my mama wanted to sit on other ducks eggs after she hatched her ducklings so watch that too. Mama would go in and have her ducklings and someone elses eggs under her, She finally got over the broody part though. Probably a good idea to keep papa out for now, My drakes did really well with the mamas and ducklings but they all free range so they are never completely closed up with them. Okay Congrats on your hatching thats going on can't wait to see pics..
@Miss Lydia DID YOU LET MOM AND BABIES FREE RANGE FROM THE BEGINNING AND WILL THE MOM BRING THEM IN AT NIGHT??

I keep them separated from the rest of the flock for a couple of weeks everyone can see each other and mama and ducklings can be outside but they aren't mingling yet.

So lil duckling came out with Mama a little while ago and Papa goose was standing by and granma Lydia was having a nervous breakdown Baby didn't know who mama was with so many feet to look at started following the chickens with the 3 of us hot on its tail; I finally managed to get them back together and inside till threat of Blk snake is over for the day. Whew I don't know.
tongue.png
love.gif
@Miss Lydia

Hi! I know this image is at least 5 years old but was wondering about your ramp set up. What's the spacing between the strips of the ramp? Is it about 4-5 inches? I've been having problems getting my new flock of WH to even go up their ramp.....so am sure it's gotta be issues with grip for them since it looks like our ramp angles are about the same - 20-30%. But did you also put down roof tiles too on the ramp? Do like the hardware cloth skirt around the base of the coop.....probably this is what I need to put on mine as well since the ducklings are just hiding/resting/sleeping under their coop 24/7.

@hereorthere love your byc name by the way.

I actually don't remember how far I spaced them that was a while ago, looks like about 5-6 inches. I don't even have them on there any longer we use roofing shingles on our ramps now. and yes hardware cloth as skirting. Keeps females from getting under and making nests too.

@hereorthere love your byc name by the way.

I actually don't remember how far I spaced them that was a while ago, looks like about 5-6 inches. I don't even have them on there any longer we use roofing shingles on our ramps now. and yes hardware cloth as skirting. Keeps females from getting under and making nests too.
Ah....makes sense - not quite there yet as my new flock is almost 8 weeks now. I'm finally figuring out who's duck vs drake by their voices. Not sure why I waited this long to get ducks are they really are adorable w/ a bit more personality than my chickens.

Just out of curiosity.....do ducks lay round verses pointy eggs? You know the whole pointed eggs = roosters with regards to chicken eggs, right? Actually I tried it twice this year, so I gotta say, it's got some value to it. Set 8 & hatched out 6 females and 2 roos. Second set was 3 eggs and all females. :D

Ducks are great aren't they. I only had Muscovy's since I started till last year when I took the plunge and a member sent me some Runner&Buff eggs for my scovy's to sit. I had wanted Runners for a long time and always thought Buff were beautiful too, But with having a Muscovy drake and knowing how they are with other Muscovy drakes I hesitated going with other breeds, But happy to say My macho scovy drake doesn't mess with the Runner drake at all and Runner sure doesn't mess with the scovy drake.

Some of my Runners eggs are round some have more of a point most of my buff eggs are pointed rather than round. Scovy eggs very similar in size and shape doesn't change much.

Did not hear that about pointed versus round with chicken eggs. I'll have to watch that more closely now.

You did awesome on your hatching this year.:thumbsup So far this year here out of 9 eggs that have hatched a different times 4 females 1 roo but the last 5 to hatch are just 4 weeks today and I am watching intently trying to see telltale signs. lol

Did you candle the eggs? best way in the world to tell how far along. And of course smell. lol usually they will stay around 3 days after last hatch and they probably don't hear anymore peeping so they get up take their ducklings out for their lesson on living in the great big world. Since you don't know exactly how long she has been sitting I'd keep track of her and every time you see her out check the eggs I usually candle right up till I see internal pip then I leave them alone Once hatching starts it can take up to 2 days for duckling to hatch. Mom will sit tight during that time. so you'll want to put food and water close by for her so she doesn't get dehydrated and in case the last egg takes longer to hatch mom and duckling will have food and water. Look at the chart and go by it . If you don't see any progress after days of candling and comparing you'll know it's a quitter.
Thanks, so by candling do you mean just hold a candle to the egg

Back
Top Bottom