Old Fashioned Skirts & Clothing

I definitely second whoever suggested sewing -- I've always had a pear shaped body and many fashion seasons left my shape out completely
hmm.png
... I started sewing in high school and have never regretted it. There are wonderful easy patterns, and the choice of fabrics is sooo much bigger than what they have in the stores! A skirt is one of the easy patterns, and a peasant blouse isn't hard, either - some of them are "1 hour pattern" - you can make them in an hour - really!

If not sewing, then thrift stores -- I've gotten some top-line outfits for a few dollars; and yes, thrift stores in upscale towns or areas of towns increase the chance of good outfits. Don't give up!

Yay! I love all the links and advise everyone!!! I can't wait to go out and start trying stuff on!

Oh does anyone know where to get "the" hat... I can't find any around here... what is the normal coyboy hat retailer?

Thanks!

Oh and I SO want to learn and start sewing, I actually have a whole 'nother thread about that... but unfortunately that project is going to have to wait as I've been out of work for a year and a half and can't afford a machine or classes yet... but I just started a new job so hopefully SOON!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
To get the Almighty Hat, I suggest looking in a feed store... That being said, they're fairly trendy around here, you might check WalMart or Target. I know Target would have something.
Have fun!!

ETA: We need pics of you wearing it all when you're done!!

Last edited:
We don't have tractor supplies out here... or that Orli other one...
lol.png
hmm.png
And I don't know any other boot stores besides Boot Barn...
sad.png
Come to think of it I haven't seen any at the feed stores either!!! I wonder if any shops in the mall would have them... ?

hit.gif
I wanta hat!
lol.png

Last edited:
It's totally normal to go into a giant department store and only come out with a couple of items after trying on many things. What's important, is to go by fit, function, color. With the colors, stay away from really bright things that will clash. For your skin tone, think of "earthy" colors, greens, browns, beige, like those off white peasant shirts. By staying within a color range and a fit range, everything can coordinate and you build up an actual wardrobe, instead of just a couple outfits. Jeans.. you need 3 good pair. One for a night out in a dark wash, boot cut, middle wasted (not low and not way high over the belly button)

What would be really cute and girly on you that you could make western, is the skinny jeans and a boot you wear over top of the bottom of the jeans. The boots then become the outfit, and you pick a shirt that is longer, slightly form fitting or not, but the boots and bag are the focus. Leave your hair down, avoid a lot of accessories, pick some really awesome boots. The skinny jeans look pretty silly in the Euro style with chuck shoes like you're in a punk band or something. But dressed up with great boots and a feminine top, they're actually cuter than people give them credit for.

As far as skirts go, knee length A line is the most slimming. Flowy is good too, but you have to watch where it flairs. But your calves are awesome, you can totally show them off. Just avoid anything shorter than 3 inches above the knee, too easy to make that accidentally look trampy.

Dark wash denim is slimming, and easy to match. Get one skinny jean, one boot cut, and a relaxed fit for shopping and boring errands, or whatever sort of outfit that doesn't need dressed up, but can be.

Don't shop by size! Think of the size you need. If you see a "muffin top" or if it just doesn't sit right, go up another size. People who shop based on if they fit into a certain size, it's a recipe for disaster. There is going to be a range of sizes you'll fit in, varied by store and brand and fit type. If I'm in Juniors for a pair of "cool" jeans, I'm a 12/14. If I'm in ladies, I'm pleased with a 10/12. Sometimes a 9. Dresses... Large, Extra Large, 12, 14, 16... depends on the cut and the fit. Sometimes it just isn't going to happen no matter what size it is because the fit is just all wrong, usually in the top with cleavage or the cutout on the arm. My arms are flabby, I LOVE cap sleeves and cute styled sleeves. But I really have to watch the cut of it, some make it cute, others accentuate exactly what I don't want seen. LOL

Some stuff just looks ugly on the rack. Pull 3 sizes and try it on. There was a dress, this ugly black thing with a wad of ruffles. But once I got it on, in the right size, it was the cutest thing I ever saw. And on sale for $25. But it looked so wonky on the rack.

Shirts are the hardest. Longer shirts are slimming. If they hang on a thick spot, grab a belt and cover that area. One of those wide elastic belts. If everything but the sleeves are awesome, find a cute jacket that's in a tailored, form fitting cut. Use other clothing to improve one piece. One piece should be the focal point. The rest should just go with it.

When you shop, look at the manikins. See how those outfits are put together. See if you can spot that one piece that the rest supports. Really loud top that's actually kind of cute, paired with a dark denim and basic shoes.

Some stores are good for getting ideas and help, like Express. Expensive, but you can play there and shop for similar elsewhere. Try stuff on and make mental notes at Sacs, Lerner's, ect... then go to TJMaxx to put it together and buy it. I always check the sale rack in every store I like. Usually find nothing or one piece, but eventually, your selection at home builds up.

Look for stuff you can change. Add a belt, take the belt off, add a jacket, dress it up with heels or dress it down with boots. Comes with stupid little belt, what if you switched it to a different belt? Experiment.

Be silly with it too, just not over the top. Grab a store clerk, it's what they're there for. Get outside opinions from complete strangers. Go to the mall even if you can't buy anything, just to develop what your style is going to be. Read through articles about your body type so you know what to avoid. I can't wear those cute tops that are loose in the top and grab in the middle, because they eliminate my middle and make my chest look massive. Not flattering at all, so I know not to even try that stuff on at all. Jeans that are low cut sit right on the fat roll and create the most awesome muffin top ever. Can't cover that with a shirt. So I go with something higher cut or a much larger size to avoid it. Just because I can fit a size 10 doesn't mean it's going to look good, on that certain cut, I might need a 14. Whatever, no one but me knows what the label says. If I put it together right, I'll look like a size 10 instead of "sausage effect" size 10. Haha.

I used to HATE shopping. I was a tomboy forever. You couldn't get me out of jeans. I still own more t-shirts than anything else. It took me years to develop a personal style. Lot's of trial and error. My husband will tell me when I'm having a fashion fail. I was stuck on size, I would try one, and if it didn't fit, it didn't fit. You can't do that! Shop by fit. Not size. Some shirts I need in an XXL to make it look right. Others a medium. Just depends on what it's designed to do and how it's to lay.

Don't spend all your time in one department. One thing from Juniors. Something over in Misses. A way cute jacket over in "professionals" where they keep all the office wear. It'll keep you from looking like you want to be 14 or 40 by mixing it up.

Back
Top Bottom