Old Fashioned Skirts & Clothing

Someone else mentioned Glamour magazine. I LOVED that magazine. It had great style ideas for people of all shapes and sizes.

I'm not real fancy in my dress at all. I usually like t-shirts and jeans. However, I usually go for the boot cut jeans and those are more feminine. Also, I really, really love fashion bug and you might too. They have outfits put together on mannequins and you can get ideas from them. I have a hard time shopping for clothes I like because stuff is either too tight or too baggy on me. I'm a bigger girl and it's rare that I try something on at fashion bug that I don't like. Their prices are awesome too. I usually like to wear boot cut jeans and a nice top. Sometimes with a lower neckline or some type of sparkle. Jewelry helps too! I don't usually get dressy, but I do have some outfits that I put on when I want to look good. Otherwise I'm perfectly happy in my jeans and T-shirt!

Definitely check out Goodwill and consignment shops. Especially ones that are in higher income areas, you would be amazed at what you can find! I have shopped for jeans for years at Goodwill because I can ALWAYS find some that fit me perfect for less than $10.00. Also, if you go to a department store find a salesclerk to help you! The higher end ones have nice sales clerks that will put outfits together for you. Tell her what you told us...she will help you! They know what they have and what will look good together. However, once you get that outfit on, look at yourself in the mirror. Does it fit correctly? Can you move/sit down? Do you feel comfortable? Do you feel pretty? Does the color look good on you? What about the pattern of the fabric? I hate paisley and would never wear it! So take that into account (stripes, dots, etc...oh horizontal stripes on a heavier person is a no-no!)There are lots of cute skirts out there to fit your figure. I am kind of bottom heavy so I always look for skirts that are not super fitted or straight (pencil skirt). Something with a flared hem will balance your figure. Broomstick skirts are an option, elastic waist and very easy to wear. I think you need to do the department store thing first to get a feel for what styles look good on you, then branch out to other stores, Goodwill, consignment stores, etc. Also...take a friend with you! One that will be honest! If you are bottom heavy like me, look for darker colors in the skirts and lighter colors in the blouse-draws the eyes up to your face. Also, v necks and pretty necklaces do the same. Check out Western stores online to get ideas. Many skirts look good with boots, not just western styles. Good luck girl, I wish I lived near you...I would have a ball helping you shop. I don't have a daughter or a granddaughter to take shopping.

First paycheck I am headed to the Thirft Stores!
big_smile.png

Girl, you are CUTE! Really, I wish I looked that good at 30. If you can pm me your size, I have a few long skirts I never wear. Not sure what size they are, as I've always fluctuated between sizes 12-16. Heck, some of them have never even been worn. Pretty sure I have a beige broomstick skirt, a black one, etc. Let me know if you are interested. Oh, and you can have them if you like them. All I would ask is for you to pay the shipping.

Last edited:
I totally agree with the people who suggest the boot cut jeans. I have a big butt and a bit of a gut, and I managed to find some that flatter me. It may take some shopping around, but once you find brand and style that fit, you're golden. I'd start at Walmart and go from there.

OH, and I have those exact boots you showed us. I actually got them off of Ebay, NEW, for $60, so you might try looking there, as well as the thrift stores.

Quote:
x2!!! She would look ADORABLE in a knee length flairy country skirt (kinda like the pics of the longer skirts she showed...only knee-length..).. and some cute cowboy boots...

Quote:
x2!!! She would look ADORABLE in a knee length flairy country skirt (kinda like the pics of the longer skirts she showed...only knee-length..).. and some cute cowboy boots...

And a hat.... don't forget the hat.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom