Older chickens getting white feathers - why?

swedishfish

Songster
10 Years
Apr 20, 2009
My black wyandotte roo suddenly has a few wing feathers that are white. Not necessarily SUDDENLY, I guess. I just haven't noticed when they appeared and know they weren't on him when I got him. They look pretty cool with his shiny black-ness, but I was wondering why he's got them now. Is it because he's old? One roo that I used to have had one tiny little copper feather (from this roo with the white that wasn't white, and a black wyandotte hen) if that helps at all.

I can't explain exactly " why " , but as each feather is molted there is an opportunity for masked colors to present themselves ; or the reverse to happen and to become masked . People wanting to breed for a certain color will cull the individuals that display the unwanted colors or add genetics to compensate . Hope that helps .

I don't know how old he is. His previous owner had a ton of chickens, but died, and his family was giving them away. It's pretty awesome though, it reminds me of those guys who have the lighter streaks in their hair of gray. Very cool looking. I'll take a picture and post it tomorrow.

I'll be a little more specific , but bear in mind I'm mostly uneducated or self-educated LOL . Chickens carry genetic info from their wild ancesters and black is caused by an excess of of melanizers that mask other colors . As they age , some individuals will either lack enough of the genetic info to suppress the colors the melanizer are masking , possibly because that particular bit of DNA is breaking down with age ; or more probably the body can no longer produce the chemicals necessary to sustain it . Either way , if you do not want the chickens to exhibit any color other than black , its a simple matter of adding more totally black breeders and eliminating those that display other colors .

edt to add : If you like the white feathers appearing the wings , you have to walk a tight-rope of selectively culling all except those that display only a small amount of it , otherwise you will see more and more loss of black in the flock .

Last edited:
ok. so sort of like leaves? when the green (majority) chlorophyl stuff dies out in autumn, the other colors show through.

Hi! I don't know if it's pertinent to your situation, but I read that damaged feather follicles can regrow white / patchy white feathers.
smile.png

Lisa

Quote:
Well , maybe you could think of it like that , but in trees the new leaves will grow in green , and as they die , change colors again caused by external conditions . That change is like a damaged area growing a white feather and the change is due to external factors ; the DNA passed on will be for the original color .

I want to add that I'm only putting up my own theories based on observation with very little study of accepted science . I may be completely wrong and certainly NOT an expert LOL .

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom