Omega-3 eggs***Fish Meal Feed

Quote:
I put some in a small dish and leave it with the other free-choice supplements. For the most part though, my girls don't seem too impressed by it. The fish meal, on the other hand, disappears very quickly.

There are two main types of fish meal used in the feed industry: Select Menhaden and Commodity Fish.

Selct Menhaden is a higher grade of meal made from Menhaden harvested from the Gulf of Mexico. It is used in pig nursery feeds, as well as poultry and dairy cattle feeds as a very good source of Amino Acids.

Commodity fish meal is also typically Menhaden, but has a criteria that does not meet the Select grade. It is also a good source of Amino Acids.

There may be localized sources of fish meal that utilize other sources.

Regardless of which type of fishmeal you use, you must use caution since it can become rancid very quickly since it has a high oil content. Store it in a cool dry area.

Jim

Quote:
I googled omega-3 eggs, but none of the articles I read mentioned feeding fish meal to my chickens. They did mention feeding flax seed. Did I miss something?

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

Regardless of which type of fishmeal you use, you must use caution since it can become rancid very quickly since it has a high oil content. Store it in a cool dry area.

Jim

Very very true!! I used to give my german shepherd treats with salmon in them-they are quite expensive, and I thought I was giving her something that was extrememly healthy for her. Right from the start of opening the package and giving a couple to her, she started throwing up. She liked them so well that I kept giving them to her, never realizing that that was what was causing her to throw up every time until it dawned on me that they were rancid, even though I had just bought them!!
th.gif
If she were a smaller dog with problems with the liver already, she possibly would have died from them. I would highly recommend that things like this be refrigerated, and suspect something wrong with the fish meal if the chickens get diarhea or anything suspicious, since it is something that can spoil easily.​

Quote:
I googled omega-3 eggs, but none of the articles I read mentioned feeding fish meal to my chickens. They did mention feeding flax seed. Did I miss something?

Bottom Line personal is a periodical that my father in law gets in the mail. It's mostly about health and finance. The volume I quoted was #30, Jan 1,2009. The article was on page 9. It was written by Mark Hyman MD director ofThe Ultra Welness Center.
hope that helps

Last edited:
Quote:
Here's an excerpt from a page I found when searching fish meal:
ADVANTAGES OF USING FISHMEAL IN ANIMAL FEEDS

Natural and sustainable, fishmeal provides a concentrated source of high quality protein and a fat rich in omega-3 fatty acid, DHA and EPA.

PROTEIN: The protein in fishmeal has a high proportion of essential amino acids in a highly digestible form, particularly methionine plus cistine, lysine, threonine and tryptophan. Present in the natural peptide form, they can be used with high efficiency to improve overall balance of dietary essential amino acids.

FAT: The fat will generally improve the balance of fatty acids in the feed to restore the ratio of omega-6: omega-3 forms towards 5:1; which is believed to be optimum; in the fat in many diets currently this ratio is considerably higher. With the optimum ratio and omega-3 fatty acids provided as DHA and EPA, general health of the animal is improved, especially where there is to be less dependence on routine medication.

A dietary source of DHA and EPA results in their deposition in animal products. This in turn will help to balance omega-6: omega-3 ratios in the human diets and provide pre-formed DHA and EPA required for infant development and for prevention of numerous disorders of the circulatory system, the immune system and to reduce inflammatory conditions.

ENERGY: Fishmeal is a concentrated energy source. With 70% to 80% of the product in the form of digestible protein and fat its energy content is higher than of many other proteins.

MINERALS AND VITAMINS: Fishmeal has a relatively high content of minerals such as phosphorus, in form with good availability to the animal. It also has a wide range of trace elements. Vitamins too are present at relatively high levels –B complex vitamins, including choline, biotin and vitamin B12 as well as A and D.

BENEFITS OF FISH MEAL FEEDING

POULTRY (BROILERS):

* Faster growth and better-feed conversion giving lower production costs.
* Improved immunity and less loss of performance from disease challenge, including vaccines.
* Better results in the absence of routine dietary medication.
* Better development of nervous system and bone structure etc.
* Fewer losses form carcass condemnations due to sepsis, inflammation, cellulitis etc.
* Changes composition of fat in meat with incorporation of low levels of long chain omega-3 fatty acids (DHA and EPA). More effective than any other ingredients in doing so. Results in meat with a better fatty acid make-up in terms of omega-3: omega –6 ratio and presence of DHA and EPA, without compromising meat quality.

BREEDING BIRDS/LAYERS:

* Higher productivity.
* Better disease resistance.
* Improved fertility –both in males and females.
* Nutritional value of eggs for humans improved through deposition of the omega-3 fatty acids DHA and EPA.​

Back
Top Bottom