Omg! It's happening! My first time!

Blueicebird

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 12, 2011
Watkins Glen
My first shot at Hatching Eggs EVER!! And what did I find when peeking at my 5 eggs today?!?! WHAT HO?! A CRACK!

Can ya tell I am excited? :D

I squeeled with joy and quickly shut off the turner on my Incubator. Now, it said I have 3 days left, so the cracking is a bit early, and I don't know if the others are as far ahead. If they don't start cracking ,should I keep turning them by hand?

Also, any advice for my first time? These are Khaki Campbell ducks and I am a noob. Do I turn the humidity up? I turned to Auto-turner off. Do I turn the temp up?

Here is a pic:

Sweeet!
jumpy.gif
Do you hear them peeping yet? Make sure the humidity isant too high... not to scare you or aything...i'm sure they will be fine. But when I hatched my last batch I decided to make the humidity a bit higher so they dont get stuck in the egg and made it so it loosens up the inside. But it tuns out two of them sufficated most likely from the humidity level.
hit.gif

When I opened the incubator to check the other eggs, I heard a peep! I have not seen any movement, and I will only increase the humidity just a bit from what I have read and others have told me. Hopefully they come out ok! :Fingers Crossed:

congrats.....same here.....first came out 4 am central time.....i even placed a link of a 8 second video of chick in the homemade incubator.....3 more are piping with beaks already out.....this was day 20.....still have all this day to go for the other 19 eggs

Heard peeping and I got wigglers! A second egg has a pipping hole and looks like he's trying harder than the first. Question: When should you assist? It says 24-48 hrs to hatch, but when should assistance be given in the hatching process? So worried to lose my babies. 2 of the 4 have no holes, and the air sac looks smaller than the two that are pipping.

So the first eggs 48 hours are almost up, and still only limited pipping. I am getting worried. Should I help by making the hole for them? I am so worried ill loose my babies...

If it was ME...I would slowly start to assist. The membrane around the duck could have shrink wrapped him when you opened the incubator. I have to assist once and used a pair of tweezers to help break the shell and pull away a LITTLE at the membrane. The blood vessels are attached to the membrane, so if you start to see ANY blood stop right away so the chick doesn't bleed to death. I'm sure you'll do FINE though. Give it a headstart then see if that gives it enough of a prompt to finish on it's own. Hatching themselves out is crucial to there abilities and strength later on.
thumbsup.gif
GOOD LUCK! Keep us posted. And take your time. As long as the chick is getting air, it's breathing. Don't rush it. And don't forget to breath yourself!

Back
Top Bottom