one of my baby ducks died :(

chickenlady2004

Songster
Aug 16, 2023
hey everyone, so recently i’ve been focusing very hard on my ducks as we had a mink attack two weeks ago.
i went out for my 19th birthday today and got a message from the person who is watching the animals that they found one of my ducklings/teen ducks dead. i’m devastated but not sure what could have caused it. she has no marks, neck is not broke, and no actual harm to her body. any ideas? thanks :(

I am very sorry about your little duck.

In my experience, when my chickens have died, I almost always can pinpoint why. But, it's often less obvious with my ducks. More than once, a duck that seemed fine one day is simply dead the next, with no visible cause.

I know you have been having a hard time for the past couple of weeks. Take care of yourself.

I’m so sorry for your losses
Many reasons they can die
Is there anything in their area they could be eating that’s toxic ?
If there are no signs of predator issues that would be my next guess
Toxic poising
Have they been feeding them treats while you are away ? If so I would ask what
Do they have water at all times as they need it to eat.
I know it’s tough to answer cause you weren’t home but hey be ask those questions so we can help you to figure it out and hopefully save the rest

I’m so sorry look them over real good for wounds,snake bites.
she was able to revive the one and now she’s trying to jump out of the bin i have her in! i’m gonna keep her inside for now but she looks good. she was very limp with white foam coming out of her mouth. massaged her crop and tried to give her some electrolytes. seemed to help a lot, im assuming whatever happened with her, happened to my other duck. not sure what exactly would cause these symptoms but i’m not sure what to do

I’m so sorry for your losses
Many reasons they can die
Is there anything in their area they could be eating that’s toxic ?
If there are no signs of predator issues that would be my next guess
Toxic poising
Have they been feeding them treats while you are away ? If so I would ask what
Do they have water at all times as they need it to eat.
I know it’s tough to answer cause you weren’t home but hey be ask those questions so we can help you to figure it out and hopefully save the rest
they have only fed them feed! they have water so not sure what happened there. i was gone for one night!! i don’t know how something so drastic can happen in one night. i’ve had ducks for almost two years and nothing on my property has changed, so not sure what could have gotten into. there was not predator marks and they were outside when she died so i’m not sure. was able to revive the one ! seems to be doing well. she keeps getting out of the bin and walking around, so i think that’s a good sign?

she was able to revive the one and now she’s trying to jump out of the bin i have her in! i’m gonna keep her inside for now but she looks good. she was very limp with white foam coming out of her mouth. massaged her crop and tried to give her some electrolytes. seemed to help a lot, im assuming whatever happened with her, happened to my other duck. not sure what exactly would cause these symptoms but i’m not sure what to do
That is awesome news!! They had drinking water right? if they eat and don't have water they can choke.

That is awesome news!! They had drinking water right? if they eat and don't have water they can choke.
i was told they had water but when i came back they seemed a little thirsty…not sure if she couldn’t make it to the water in time or not but yeah i’ve googled it and it seems like she may have choked :(

Back
Top Bottom