Ongoing Brahma Projects Thread

Pics
You can check on the American Brahma Club website under breeders to see if anyone there is working on SL/GL. I know that High View Farms in Texas has gold laced, but I think that they are sold out right now....you can check with them though. I can't guarantee that they don't carry the VH gene, you'll have to ask her. Also, Shamrock farms in Wisconsin carries laced brahmas. Those are the only two that are in my brain right now.

You an also join the American Brahma Club facebook page and ask if anyone has them for sale. I'm not sure that they will let you post an ISO ad, you are supposed to be a member of the ABC in order to post ads. You can join the ABC (really very reasonably priced) from the American Brahma Club website.

I actually have birds from both these breeders (no SL or GL), as well as Sally Sunshine and H&H Rare Poultry. Thanks for the information on ABC I will give them a try.

I finally located an unrelated trio of silver laced. Hopefully they do not carry the VH gene. Seems like every batch of eggs I order and hatch, I get a least 1 chick with Vulture Hocks. Anyone know where I can purchase SL or GL eggs or chicks? Seems like the focus has shifted to the Blue/Gold Partridge color pattern.
I would also like to know where to get Silver Laced..I just love the non standard colors...

just in general, I have been busy working on building a house at the location I moved too...funny but my new hen house got finished before the house got started, guess that tells you my priority. I was the guy that started this thread and I am glad it is serving the needs of those with brahma projects seemingly well.

I remember when I was young my grandmother would point out the difference between local farms (west central Ohio) that were of german decent and a few to the south that were settled by French. The germans put their early emphasis on getting their barns and livestock buildings up and kept in good shape, because this is what would make the money for a bigger house in the future.

While your priorities appear to be in the right order, unfortunately you chose chickens, and we can all attest, there is no money to be made in that.

Does anyone know what I would get if I crossed a buff brahma roo with a white cochin hen? (Both bantams)

Assuming that your white cochin is recessive white, it could be covering just about any color under there. A strong possibility it may be black hiding under there, if so, I would expect solid black chicks. All depends what is under the white.

I finally located an unrelated trio of silver laced. Hopefully they do not carry the VH gene. Seems like every batch of eggs I order and hatch, I get a least 1 chick with Vulture Hocks. Anyone know where I can purchase SL or GL eggs or chicks? Seems like the focus has shifted to the Blue/Gold Partridge color pattern.

I would think all the silver laced are related, some possibly to a lesser extent.

I remember when I was young my grandmother would point out the difference between local farms (west central Ohio) that were of german decent and a few to the south that were settled by French. The germans put their early emphasis on getting their barns and livestock buildings up and kept in good shape, because this is what would make the money for a bigger house in the future.

While your priorities appear to be in the right order, unfortunately you chose chickens, and we can all attest, there is no money to be made in that.
LOL, too funny. I can also attest that there is no money to be made in chickens. However, as a renewable resource for protein, they are by far the best choice. That said, if you are raising them as a renewable resource and you chose Brahmas, well, you have to either have a lot of chickens or go hungry a lot.

big_smile.png

Well like everyone else here my love of brahmas trumps everything else.

I have several breeds. My newest are 2 light brahamas. Supposed to be females. They are 8 months old. Today one of them became very aggressive I the other chickens. It got to the food first & when others came up, it grabbed them, pulling out feathers and chasing them off. I noticed it's a bit bigger with more dark feathers than the other, but it's feathers aren't as fancy as my Wyandotte rooster. Could it be a rooster? Are they often aggressive with other chickens?

Back
Top Bottom