Ongoing Brahma Projects Thread

Pics
I would need to see more pictures to even hazard a guess, preferably some relaxed standing profile shots

Pea combs are not very high on my list of reliable sex indicators, at least with Brahmas. Cornish sometimes a little more usable.

The deepness of the red on your birds shoulders might be a secondary indicator that they may be male, if other indicators line up.

A couple of the old gals sporting their new feathers. Wish they would stay this dark, but the sun eventually fades them some.

This one could stand better, more complete lacing but has pretty good base color.

This one, while slightly better lacing, just a shade lighter red.

I'm not sure if I fully comprehend the comment here, but yes improving foot feathering is one of many things on the to do list with these birds.

I'm not sure if I fully comprehend the comment here, but yes improving foot feathering is one of many things on the to do list with these birds.

Thanks for the input on gender. They're stumping me. I'll get better pictures later today.
How does double lacing work? I'm sure it's not simple, but if a laced bird crosses with a double laced bird, how do offspring turn out?

Thanks for the input on gender. They're stumping me. I'll get better pictures later today.
How does double lacing work? I'm sure it's not simple, but if a laced bird crosses with a double laced bird, how do offspring turn out?

If crossing a well bred single laced bird to a well bred double laced bird you get a pattern that falls somewhere between the two. I say well bred meaning the individual has two copies of all the required genes for the pattern. Some birds may look proper with one copy of certain genes, but will not breed true.

The main difference between a single laced bird, and a double laced, is a single laced should carry two copies of the columbian gene, (not to be confused with the columbian pattern, which also requires two copies of the columbian gene), while the double lace carries no copies of columbian. So crossing a two copy bird with a no copy bird results in 100% one copy chicks. Which with some genes will get you a proper looking bird that won't breed true, but in this case gets you a wonky in between kind of pattern.

Breeding these tweener pattern chicks back to each other in theory should get you 25% two copy single laced chicks, 25% no copy double laced chicks, and 50% one copy tweeners again.

Breeding a one copy chick back to it's double laced parent should get you 50% double laced chicks, and 50% one copy tweeners.

My two buff-laced brahmas at approximately 12 weeks old. The one on the left acts a lot like a cockerel. The one on the right is more meek, but maybe just lower on the totem pole.

Little Dude: Acts like a cockerel, larger red comb:

Duda (my son named him after the Mets player): acts more meek and has a yellow comb with larger center line than side "peas"):

He's a he, right?

If crossing a well bred single laced bird to a well bred double laced bird you get a pattern that falls somewhere between the two. I say well bred meaning the individual has two copies of all the required genes for the pattern. Some birds may look proper with one copy of certain genes, but will not breed true.

The main difference between a single laced bird, and a double laced, is a single laced should carry two copies of the columbian gene, (not to be confused with the columbian pattern, which also requires two copies of the columbian gene), while the double lace carries no copies of columbian. So crossing a two copy bird with a no copy bird results in 100% one copy chicks. Which with some genes will get you a proper looking bird that won't breed true, but in this case gets you a wonky in between kind of pattern.

Breeding these tweener pattern chicks back to each other in theory should get you 25% two copy single laced chicks, 25% no copy double laced chicks, and 50% one copy tweeners again.

Breeding a one copy chick back to it's double laced parent should get you 50% double laced chicks, and 50% one copy tweeners.
This is so interesting. I am keeping a buff-laced brahma that is probably a cockerel (Duda above). If he crosses with Barnevelders the pattern gets "tweened" in a way. That is, if he's a well bred single laced bird (which I'm doubtful of). If he only has one copy of the gene (which would explain some smudgyness in his pattern?? or is it too early to tell?) then I would need to do some test matings to find out what his offspring look like.

Yeah I would say you have a pair of cockerels there.

The buff laced cross would also bring dominant white into play. Your cockerel could be carrying two, or only a single copy of dominant white. One of those examples where a single copy bird appears from outward appearances the same as a two copy bird. A two copy bird would produce 100% one copy dominant white chicks. A one copy bird would produce 50% black trimmed chicks when bred to a Barnevelder..

Yeah I would say you have a pair of cockerels there.

The buff laced cross would also bring dominant white into play. Your cockerel could be carrying two, or only a single copy of dominant white. One of those examples where a single copy bird appears from outward appearances the same as a two copy bird. A two copy bird would produce 100% one copy dominant white chicks.  A one copy bird would produce 50% black trimmed chicks when bred to a Barnevelder..

I had no idea that buff-laced carried dominant white. That changes my test matings hen selection. I have quite a few white hens. I do have a barred rock hen and a cream legbar hen. I've read a little about using barring genes in breeding projects.

When choosing a laced bird for breeding projects, how do you decide? Is the early lacing important or do you wait until adult feathers come in?

Back
Top Bottom