Ongoing Quilt Projects, Continued from the "No Appreciation...." Thread

That’s beautiful! I am off work this week and got a couple of quilts done. One is a wall hanging and the other is a lap quilt I don’t seem to have a picture of yet.
54D77EFB-9C46-4F23-9839-EC099DD1B034.jpeg

That is a good point! You may have given me a selling point on why I need a treddle. Just think of all the exercise I will get!
See? There ya go!!

Need another reason? How about one I learned at an antique sewing machine symposium many years ago. The only truly straight stitches are sewn on antique machines - Singers and others - those WITHOUT zig-zag capabilities. Surprised? So was I! Turns out that under high magnification it is clear that the old machines sew with each stitch straight in perfect alignment with the one before. But with zig zag capable machines, even top line models, there is a slight slant between each stitch. It goes to the left at the end of the stitch, then back to right at the beginning of the next one, over and over again. It’s not enough to affect the finished piece, and it is only obvious under that high magnification, but it’s there, nonetheless. If I hadn’t seen it with my own eyes, I wouldn’t have believed it.

I have 2 big dogs, a Golden Retriever and an Irish Wolfhound. So I know exactly what you mean!

A few years ago my granddaughter Katie, who lived across the street at the time, came to me and said she wanted to learn to make a quilt. I was thrilled! She was about 8 years old then, and some of you may recall that she has mild Autism. So I got out a box of little half-square triangles I’d become disgusted - or bored - with (I hate piecing) and she loved the scrappy colors. While I was getting everything set up, I set her to work pressing those little squares. After awhile she said, “These won’t make a very big quilt, Gramma.” So I asked her how big she wanted to make it…I was thinking she wanted to make a doll quilt. Nope. She wanted to make a quilt for her little sister, who has Spina Bifida and several other medical issues. She said, “Gramma, Kendra has no feeling in her feet and legs so she can be cold before she even feels like she’s cold. I want to make a quilt she can use in her wheelchair and her car seat.” So that’s what she did! She did a superb job, too, and got it done in time to give it to Kendra for Christmas.

Don't underestimate the power of a lap quilt for just plain fun! And they’re great for learning a new technique! I love making lap quilts!

9A52ED62-8B0B-4893-BE0F-DB081D76ACE9.jpeg

10026F4C-A5D1-42C9-9BD8-3E323AA312F3.jpeg

Hand quilting is my specialty, however the tingling and/or numb fingers pretty much ended that. I'm not nearly as good with free motion on the machine as I am doing hand quilting, but it's definitely faster. A lap quilt is a great way to develop hand quilting skills, for sure. The last bed quilt that was entirely hand quilted I did was my Tennessee Waltz spring quilt about ten years ago. I think I did one lap quilt after that, but don't recall any others.

@NanaKat yes, I broke my leg when we were cutting up a dead tree. It went rogue on us, the butt end flew up, brushed across the top of my head, came down on my right shoulder and pushed me me straight down (my left leg broke both bones clear across just below the knee, same bones I broke in that ankle in 2012). I had surgery a week later to stabilize it, but now I can walk without a walker, though I do take a cane in case I lose my balance on this very rocky and root-ridden property. As you can imagine, it put me out of commission on literally everything for a long time. It's still very swollen and a little bruised and stiff all these months later, nice long scar down the front of my leg from the surgery, but I'm grateful to even be alive.

@speckledhen I had no idea about the accident. I'm glad to hear you are doing better now though! That was indeed a close one!

See? There ya go!!

Need another reason? How about one I learned at an antique sewing machine symposium many years ago. The only truly straight stitches are sewn on antique machines - Singers and others - those WITHOUT zig-zag capabilities. Surprised? So was I! Turns out that under high magnification it is clear that the old machines sew with each stitch straight in perfect alignment with the one before. But with zig zag capable machines, even top line models, there is a slight slant between each stitch. It goes to the left at the end of the stitch, then back to right at the beginning of the next one, over and over again. It’s not enough to affect the finished piece, and it is only obvious under that high magnification, but it’s there, nonetheless. If I hadn’t seen it with my own eyes, I wouldn’t have believed it.
You know, I noticed that on my machines.
I have three old singers (201, FW, and 99k) and a straight stitch Juki. Each one stitches a true straight stitch, but if I use any of my other machines with a zig-zag or more stitch capability, there is the mildest slant to the "straight" stitch.

Strange that you ask now. My last machine is up for sale. I just finished a large lap quilt that took two different machines and hours of troubleshooting to get done and I put the machine on the market. I may get another one day, but it will have to be a better one than I had. I see the message you left in private, but it won't allow me to access it for some reason (ETA: Finally, I got in so replied) This is the one I just finished. I'm sort of over it at the moment, LOL.
IMG_1994.JPG

Last edited:
I finished the rose-and-teal half log cabin quilt. I used a mid-loft batting, but not sure I liked that at all. For use as a baby quilt, it would be a tad heavy, IMO. It sure is poufy, though.

Backing pieced from pinks I had on hand. The center one I got on sale for $2.50/yd, nice fabric, too.

Back
Top Bottom