opinions on diatomaceous earth?

Worm eggs and cocci are uneffected by DE and chemicals as I mentioned in a previous post in this thread. They are encased in very hard shells and can withstand extreme weather, temperature, and soil conditions for years...look it up.

Well f they're unaffected by chemicals, then why are you advocating the chemicals? Maybe I'M not the one who needs to study the effects of chemicals on MICROBES in the soil...

That's a contradiction. Which is it? Chemicals DON'T kill eggs in the soil, or they DO?

At this point, opinions have been expressed, data has been supplied, the original poster and s probably long gone, and YOU are going to keep hitting a wall with ME. lol I don't sitvhere and do internet battles about killing bugs. My way works. Your way works. Why not everyone just GO DO what works for THEM. Thanks for the lovely debate; my OPINION is no longer needed ;)

Last edited:
To People who are biased against natural home remedies, please keep in mind that many of them relieve aginizing suffering and save lives when traditional medicine is unavailable or unaffordable.

To People who are biased against traditional medicine and chemicals, please keep in mind that relieving the suffering of your animals must be the top priority.

To People who spend a lot of money acquiring the trappings of success, or "spaving" on Craig's List, but are too narcissistic and cheap to spend money for the reasonable care of your animals, and therefore resort to home remedies because they're mainly cheaper (even though you talk a good game about "natural" blah blah), I will call animal control and report you for felony animal cruelty if I see your animals suffering.

To People who are so biased against chemicals that you will allow your animal to suffer day after day, for example, from a raging infection because you've been brainwashed against antibiotics, I will report you for felony animal cruelty if I see your animal suffering.

To People who are low income and do the very best they can, and use effective home remedies because that's all they can afford, if I see your animal suffering even though you're doing your utmost for them I will help you; and if your animals are happy and healthy, God bless you and yours.

Last edited:
Quote: You must have missed my posts.

1) DE killed all the tapeworms in 10 of my dogs. I've watched it happen day by day with my own eyes. Most chemical wormers won't even kill tapeworms, but DE does. I'm not against chemical wormers and will use them if necessary, but DE works so that's what I'm using.

Do you know what the Scolex of tapeworm is? DE will not kill it as it is buried deep in the intestinal lining.

Quote:
No contradiction, it's a fact. That's how nematodes have survived in the environment since the beginning of time and will continue to do so. You can try to spin it as you see fit. Worm eggs and cocci eggs can not be penetrated by DE nor treated with chemicals. When ova have hatched internally, that's when you hit them with a wormer. Routine testing of fecal samples can be done to detect eggs. Or a regular worming schedule will achieve the same results to kill larva and adults, that's if you dont want to fork out money to pay a vet.

To People who are biased against natural home remedies, please keep in mind that many of them relieve aginizing suffering and save lives when traditional medicine is unavailable or unaffordable.

To People who are biased against traditional medicine and chemicals, please keep in mind that relieving the suffering of your animals must be the top priority.

To People who spend a lot of money acquiring the trappings of success, or "spaving" on Craig's List, but are too narcissistic and cheap to spend money for the reasonable care of your animals, anyone who pud therefore resort to home remedies because they're mainly cheaper (even though you talk a good game about "natural" blah blah), I will call animal control and report you for felony animal cruelty if I see your animals suffering.

To People who are so biased against chemicals that you will allow your animal to suffer day after day, for example, from a raging infection because you've been brainwashed against antibiotics, I will report you for felony animal cruelty if I see your animal suffering.

To People who are low income and do the very best they can, and use effective home remedies because that's all they can afford, if I see your animal suffering even though you're doing your utmost for them I will help you; and if your animals are happy and healthy, God bless you and yours.

I'm not biased against home remedies...only certain ones that dont work, including DE. Anyone who acquires birds off Craigslist is asking for trouble. It throws biosecurity out the window, period. Anyone who doesnt take care of their animals, doesnt need to own animals, period.
Priorities are mixed up this day and time and common sense out the door...family first before owning any animal.

I'm not biased against home remedies...only certain ones that dont work, including DE. Anyone who acquires birds off Craigslist is asking for trouble. It throws biosecurity out the window, period. Anyone who doesnt take care of their animals, doesnt need to own animals, period.
Priorities are mixed up this day and time and common sense out the door...family first before owning any animal.

Red Lake DE does kill worms fleas and ticks, I'm a witness.

The facts are thous: 1. DE have been proven to be useful in treatment of external and internal parasites. Not 100% efficiency,but so all the chemical wormer. They also don't have an efficiency of 100% and that as been proven by research. 2. Chicken can live a very productive life with some parasite load, they don't have to be sterile with 0 worms load. 3. Chemical wormers do have there side affect, and can harm humans. 4. Good biosecurity, use of plant material like,wormwood, hot chillies, etc. and DE do have an influence on internal parasites by reducing there numbers.
1. DE is ineffective as a wormer, and not against an infestation of external parasites. Chemicals are 100% effective if given the proper dose for the particular parasite. Second dosings and sometimes third dosings (depending on worm type) within a certain period of time assure 100% kill rate including larva hatched from eggs (you know this.) 2. One female roundworm lays thousands of eggs in one day. One worm is one worm too many, not to mention the internal damage they cause opening the door for diseases and egg production loss. Chickens peck the soil all the time, picking up worm eggs. They eat grass, grass has worm eggs on it also (direct lifecycle.) (You know this.) 3. Wormers are administered to humans under doctors supervision. I'll take the side effects over a bellyful of worms any day. People can take birds to vets for wormer treatment if they are concerned about side effects. 4. Biosecurity is paramount. Chemicals included to deter any threat. Anything less is mismanagement. 5. Here's an experiment for you Akrnaf: Put one of your DE fed hens in a wire cage, small mesh preferred. Then give your hen a dose of albendazole or fenbendazole or piperazine (your choice.) Then watch the results in within 24-72 hours. As far as cyanide goes....there's all kinds of chemicals and hormones in the food and water we eat and drink today...some worse than cyanide; even marijuana smokers are growing boobs. http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/05/health/youn-pot-moobs/index.html How many eggs will these roundworms lay in one day out of this chicken intestine? Edited by Staff
My friend dwag53 I myself don't use DA. I actually use Mebendazol (vermox) when I think that the chickens need deworming ( In Israel 1 kilo=2 pounds, of food grade DA cost 27$!) but I do practice a very strict biosecurity and I do use some alternative ways, like the use of very high Capsaicin levels chili powder, and wormwood, to keep the worms in bay. I do check under the microscope fecal samples, and do other exams to check the worm load on my chickens. However , I think that every forum member is entitled to an access to information that is scientifically proven and not only to information published by people that have other interests. I expecting from any forum member,( as I expect from myself,my children, and my student!) to be an autodidact and self taught person, so when I think that something is wrong or misleading I do say my established point of view! And as the godfather said: "it's nothing personal it's just business" After I viewed your link, I now understand way Marijuana is illegal, it isn't because the psychoactive features, of the THC, but because its lactation ones! ."

Last edited:
PS My dogs are large to extra large, 65 to 125 lbs at ideal weight, and have all lived to 15 or 16 years healthy. My 125 lb Golden Retriever mix lived to 16. It's rare for dogs to live as long as mine, so I'm pretty good at figuring out what's good and effective for their ailments.

Tip: To completely cure symptoms of arthritis in dogs, use the liquid Farnham's Next Level Equine Joint Fluid "For all classes of horses and dogs" from TSC (accept no subsitutes).

Back
Top Bottom