Opinions on this Tennessee Walking Horse, and the breed in general..

Cara

Songster
12 Years
Aug 30, 2007
NM
To cut a long story short, my husband gave me a 3 yr old QH colt as a wedding present and we don't exactly get along (me and the horse LOL). I had a nasty fall riding and gave up for several years, and I am frightened of him and he knows it. He's the herd boss, and he bites and pushes me around with his head if I try and do any groundwork with him. He won't lead either. My husband doesn't have the time to work with him every day, although the horse doesn't act that way with him because he knows he isn't afraid of him; my husband is also much taller than me, and I think that makes a difference with his behaviour too. He's going to a trainer this weekend to be reformed, but I don't know how much that will change him and his attitude to me.

I've been looking at more gentle horses, and came across this Tennessee Walking Horse. Does anyone know about these horses, and this one's conformation in particular? Everyone on the ranch is a QH person, and these horses aren't exactly common in NM. He's little, at 14.1hh, but then so am I LOL According to his pedigree he has 6 World Gaited Champions in the last 3 generations.

p21976092.jpg

I'm looking for a gentle but not lazy horse that I can get my confidence back with, and advance with. I grew up riding English, so this whole Western thing is very different to me too. I don't like riding with my reins just hanging LOL. Also we live in very rough country, so it needs to be sure footed. It doesn't matter so much if it can work cattle or not, as I can use ranch horses for that.

TWH are supposed to be very nice horses, and sure-footed... It would be quite strange, if you've not ridden one; because they have, obviously, the different gaits...

Honestly? From this angle, his conformation is...funky. He looks like he could be crossed with a QH, and is a little too stocky. Neck is also a bit short.

So, it just depends on what you want to do with him! If he's fun; get him!

I'm not an expert on these horses either , but he sure does'nt look like his breed , Usually the Walkers are 15.5 or taller and are not quite as stocky . Definitely a good looking horse from that angle , but it does'nt matter about that . It matters how you feel around the horse . I'm 5'2" and have rode all sorts of breeds and tempraments . It does'nt matter how tall the horse is or how big it is , you can't fool a horse . It sounds like you need a boost of confidence , so maybe you need to go ride a bunch of different horses and build it up . Good luck on finding the right one , it takes time to find the right one ! (kinda like finding a man ! lol !)
big_smile.png

I agree that he looks like he's a QH cross, his rear end and thick legs scream it. His neck is a bit short, and a little thin but that is a typical TWH thing.
Might as well go try him out, I'd say.

I dated a boy when I was in my 20's that raised Tennesee Walkers and I have been in love with tthem since! They are, far and above, to me,themost beautiful animals on the planet! I am mesmerized with the way they throw their legs out when they compete, absolutely gorgeous, massive, beautiful horses....lucky you

TWH are my favorite breed!! And when I get my horse that's the breed I'm going to pick... but I agree, that doesn't look like the breed, and normally they are are from 15 hands to 16 hands...

TWH have a very comfortable gait and, sopposedly people with even bad backs can ride them comfortably.

I hope that helped...
smile.png

I'm no expert, but he looks good to me! I've known a few TWs that friends have, and they love the breed. I've seen some just 14 hands, but most are taller.

It all depends on the horse, though (just like dogs). Even if he's not a purebred, he can be the best horse ever! Give him a try. Good luck.

There is no such thing as 15.5 hands - I don't remember who said that...AND the older lines of the breed are much shorter than today's horses (which is preferable in my humble opinion)

I like this horse. The older Midnight lines produce very stocky horses - much preferable to today's stick thin wafers of a horse the TWH people are breeding. My neighbor has two well bred TWH mares who get confused with Quarter Horses until people see them gait.

The most important thing for you to look at here is how it's gait is. Some walkers PACE which is not as comfy as a true running walk. If you feel yourself moving side to side, it's not well gaited. The horse should move back and forth under you, not side to side.

I personally hate gaited horses - lazy man's ride and all that (H/J snob, I know!). But DH loves them and I can imagine that when I'm older and my back, hips, and knees are blown, I'll love them, too. My other best advice is have a full x-ray exam on the hind legs from hips down. Gaited horses often have soundness issues in the back as a result of their gaits.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your advice. He is definitely 100% TWH and registered with TWHBEA. His lines include Midnight Sun, Sun's Delight, Coin's Hard Cash, The Pusher and Mark of Carbon if that means anything to anyone LOL; I remember you mentioning Midnight helmstead. I basically want a nice trail horse to potter around the ranch on with my dogs, and maybe one that I can show but that isn't necessary.

One weird thing though - the seller put her price up, but the horse market isn't good right now, and he hadn't sold before.

Quote:
A quality horse is still a quality horse. The market for gaited trail horses is better than ever as trail rides are becoming america's favorite past time and no one wants to learn how to post, LOL!

I like the Midnight Sun and Pusher lines. Go try him out. Always bear in mind you kinda get what you pay for in horses. A cheap horse is usually a gift horse, if you know what I mean.

Back
Top Bottom