Ordered my 1st chicks!!

Ok Blooie, I'm not going to lie, right when I saw the title that said Brood Chick OUTDOORS I thought, ut-uh.. No way no how!! Not gonna do it!!
hide.gif

Then I start reading, and reading, and looking at your pictures, and reading some more..
caf.gif

I have to say, I absolutely LOVE the idea of outdoor brooding!! Especially the fact that you have your brooder right next to the big girls and they can see them all the time.. I am definitely going to have to incorporate a brooder next to my coop with my 2nd round of chicks!! (and I can already hear my other half sighing that I am asking him to build more for me..
roll.png
)

Ok, 2 weeks, can you take any longer?!?!

Ok Blooie, I'm not going to lie, right when I saw the title that said Brood Chick OUTDOORS I thought, ut-uh.. No way no how!! Not gonna do it!!
hide.gif

Then I start reading, and reading, and looking at your pictures, and reading some more..
caf.gif

I have to say, I absolutely LOVE the idea of outdoor brooding!! Especially the fact that you have your brooder right next to the big girls and they can see them all the time.. I am definitely going to have to incorporate a brooder next to my coop with my 2nd round of chicks!! (and I can already hear my other half sighing that I am asking him to build more for me..
roll.png
)

Ok, 2 weeks, can you take any longer?!?!
lau.gif
Hence the reason I stipulate "courage" as the first requirement for doing this! But it works, I swear to you, and this lady will never EVER raise chicks in the house with a heat lamp again. I'd rather skip having chicks altogether than go back to that!

Ditto what she said. However, I will state that my personal style is to use the heating pad in the house for a couple of days till they get their bearings, and are consistently going under the pad to warm up. (instead of standing around complaining that they are cold) Then, it's just a matter of gathering them and heating pad all up, and installing them in the coop. They get a little upset at first, and even though it's the same heating pad, they may need to be shoved under it a few times, then... life is oh so good for them and ME!

I'm going for outside in the coop next time for sure! I already wanted to build a "hospital" station in their rather large coop (8'x17', 10 chickens, planning to go to 15 chickens). We don't even get crazy low temperatures here! We maybe have a week of 20's each year! Mostly our winters are in the low 30's and we bought cold hardy birds anyway. My favorite part (besides the mess) is them not having to be in unnatural light all the time. That just seems wrong.

Back
Top Bottom