Oregano oil for chickens

I usually use silver for our birds, I add it to their water from time to time but now I want to try adding a lil oregano oil to their next batch of oatmeal. It tastes pretty nasty so i don't think they would appreciate it being added to their water! Can't imagine it will hurt them any!
My ducks could not stand any oregano oil in their feed or water, even in tiny amounts. They took one whiff and backed off! ( I take it myself, but for that matter I can't stand it either, so I put drops of it in gel caps so I can get it down...) I would think a prepared feed containing oregano would be best, but I haven't found a place to buy it for the backyard poultry keeper.

My ducks could not stand any oregano oil in their feed or water, even in tiny amounts. They took one whiff and backed off! ( I take it myself, but for that matter I can't stand it either, so I put drops of it in gel caps so I can get it down...) I would think a prepared feed containing oregano would be best, but I haven't found a place to buy it for the backyard poultry keeper.
something that you can try... I've done this to add some brewers yeast to my feed for the vitamins...I diluted some blackstrap molasses with water (didnt measure but it was thick enough where it would still stick to the feed and made the feed sticky) I wonder if it would mask the taste of the oregano oil enough so that the ducks will get the benefits of the oregano oil? I figure its a win win since black strap molasses is full of minerals!

That's a great idea! They are crazy about chopped greens in water, too, so I could possibly sneak in some fresh leaves there. I am growing some of the stronger Greek oregano that is used to make oregano oil.

This is for CluckCluck18, I've checked their site, but don't find anything. Where did you see it?

It's here: http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Chicken-Health/RopaPoultry-Oregano-Oil-Supplement-p1374.aspx

But product description says its based upon oregano oil, but the actual product images and label do not list oregano oil as an ingredient, it only lists oregano as an ingredient, but not oregano oil. Very different products, the herb vs the oil, unless their label is incorrect. Plus it has propylene glycol as the second ingredient, a controversial ingredient.

We have a sick hen that I think has a crop issue, not sure what. But I've been treating her with Oil of Oregano with Piperine. We bought it from www.firststatevetsupply.com. Not totally out of the woods yet, but wow she is so much better today! Been on the stuff for three days now. I'm getting excited about this stuff!

And I'm sure you can buy it other places, but I've never seen it in a feed store. I think the Piperine makes it easier for the birds to absorb the oil.

I use fresh oregano Once every other week. Not sure If I am doing "good" or "harm" . What is your opinion?

In that article about the poultry farm in this thread, it says they use fresh oregano. don't see how it can hurt, since it's an herb that they could eat in the garden if they wanted. The jury's still out on whether it's going to be a complete cure for Myrtle, our hen, she's still not completely recovered, but I'm sure it definitely helped her.

Back
Top Bottom