Oregon

When I called my Wilco (Springfield) they were very willing to tell me when the chicks I wanted were going to be in stock. Coastal (in Eugene) told me that I would need to call when they got shipments, they wouldn't say what was coming. I know Coastal does a free chick day in March when you get 5 free asst pullets if you buy chick feed.

When I called my Wilco (Springfield) they were very willing to tell me when the chicks I wanted were going to be in stock. Coastal (in Eugene) told me that I would need to call when they got shipments, they wouldn't say what was coming. I know Coastal does a free chick day in March when you get 5 free asst pullets if you buy chick feed.

I think the free chicks are the first week of March, not positive though

I think they get a new delivery every Friday. They will carry fewer breeds as time goes on until May when they stop until Sept. I don't think they get the bantams except with the first delivery. That is the only time I have seen them there.

Ahh, gotcha. Makes sense that they would re-stock. I remember being really bummed last Sept. when we got our chicks because we wanted a few easter eggers and someone had the audacity to reserve ALL of them. The NERVE! lol :)

Wow thanks for the input everyone! I'm thinking one from 5 different breeds too. I'd love to see a big yellow buff running around my yard. I like black and white ones too. I suppose I should start by calling the local wilco. It's 5 minutes down the road. I don't know if I could stand to wait until the end of April!

Ahh, gotcha. Makes sense that they would re-stock. I remember being really bummed last Sept. when we got our chicks because we wanted a few easter eggers and someone had the audacity to reserve ALL of them. The NERVE! lol :)

Seriously, all of them. That' is rude. Lol. I just want one. So my fellow newbergonian, where did you ever find the chicken ordinance? I. Ant find any actual written rules???

Seriously, all of them. That' is rude. Lol. I just want one. So my fellow newbergonian, where did you ever find the chicken ordinance? I. Ant find any actual written rules???

I called the police station (non-emergency number, of course...hehe) and asked them what the rules were. You can have up to 6 hens and no roosters. You have to apply for a permit (also available at the police station) and the animal control lady has to come inspect your coop. To cover my bases, I actually called the animal control lady and asked her what they were looking for as far as coops go. First of all, she said to go ahead and turn in the application, but don't look for her very soon. I asked her what I'm supposed to do with my chickens in the mean time...there was no way they were going to stay in my garage any longer than necessary! She said to go ahead and put them in the coop when they were ready and she would show up eventually. A month or so later she showed up. She just wanted to make sure the coop was preadator proof, but didn't really seem too educated about chicken keeping.
hmm.png
Oh, also your hens have to be contained in your back yard.

And just a heads up....if you have a dog without a license, she'll get you for that, too. Ask me how I know...
rant.gif

So...chicken permit = free. Dog license = $20.00.

Edited to add...you also need to make sure you don't have any homeowners association rules preventing chicken ownership.

Last edited:
Well I do have an unlicensed dog. A vicious chihuahua. I should get up on that anyway. Thanks. That's what I'd heard too. Thanks for confirming. I can literally see the fire station/ police station/ city hall from my front porch. Yeah old downtown. No hoa!
Edited to add: she's not vicious at all. She's a licker. Just to clarify. :)

Last edited:
I called the police station (non-emergency number, of course...hehe) and asked them what the rules were. You can have up to 6 hens and no roosters. You have to apply for a permit (also available at the police station) and the animal control lady has to come inspect your coop. To cover my bases, I actually called the animal control lady and asked her what they were looking for as far as coops go. First of all, she said to go ahead and turn in the application, but don't look for her very soon. I asked her what I'm supposed to do with my chickens in the mean time...there was no way they were going to stay in my garage any longer than necessary! She said to go ahead and put them in the coop when they were ready and she would show up eventually. A month or so later she showed up. She just wanted to make sure the coop was preadator proof, but didn't really seem too educated about chicken keeping.
hmm.png
Oh, also your hens have to be contained in your back yard.

And just a heads up....if you have a dog without a license, she'll get you for that, too. Ask me how I know...
rant.gif

So...chicken permit = free. Dog license = $20.00.

Edited to add...you also need to make sure you don't have any homeowners association rules preventing chicken ownership.
So you can get a permit to get a rooster? Hmm, I may have to look into that. Or am I reading your post incorrectly...

Back
Top Bottom