Oregon

Hi from Redmond, OR. Any other Central Oregonians? I'm new to chickens. I live in town and have 1 yellow sex-link, 2 black sex-links, 1 light Brahma bantam pullet and 1 buff Brahma bantam pullet (hopefully....she/he might be a roo :( ) of course the one that might be a roo, Honey, is my favorite!! The sex-links are about 15 weeks old and the two lil bantams are about 8 weeks old. No eggs yet....hopefully soon! My husband built a coop/tractor and the girls love it. Although the big girls scare the lil girls.....so its a little sketchy when all 5 are together. They all free range in the yard during the day and they leave each other alone. But in the coop the lil girls are nervous, but they always seem ok in the morning....no blood or pecked out feathers....guess its just all the pecking order working its way out. I plan on keeping Honey until a crow or an egg. :) I love her too much....gonna enjoy her as long as possible.....maybe the neighbors will never complain. :)

Ok....thanks for listening all about me!

-Liz

Hello to all the new peeps!! Sorry I haven't been on here to welcome you all! My family took a short trip (just over one night) to Bend. Almost all chicken related. :) Just got home, checked on the peeps, and logged on!
frow.gif

Hello to all the new peeps!! Sorry I haven't been on here to welcome you all! My family took a short trip (just over one night) to Bend. Almost all chicken related. :) Just got home, checked on the peeps, and logged on!
frow.gif
Glad all went well for you in Bend, the ladies are settling in nice and met my Newfie Lou, he wasn't sure what to think of the ladies,lol....he was really curious, he loves the cats and the smaller chickens but had to sniff them to decide what they were he is an older gentleman and I think he thought perhaps the bantam ladies were cats, lol!!!!
lau.gif

Hello Oregon Peeps! I have a few roosters I am looking to rehome into new flocks. I have a super handsome year old Black Lavender split Ameraucana Rooster from Cloverleaf. Asking $10. I also have a Lemon Blue cochin rooster from Bishop Poultry on the East Coast. Asking $10. And I have a fantastic English Import Black Orpington Rooster going back to Julie Keener's line. He is just a year old as well. I am asking $40 for him or best offer. And I have three Faverolles cross pullets available, ages 3 months and twp that are 6 weeks old and well as a 6 week old Fav cross cockerel. PM me for photos.

RIR are mean spirited and the one I have is sooooper broody..too bad its a bantam cause I would eat it..
I agree with you on the RIR..don't know bout the other breeds tho good to know

So I'm not sure what to do here. I purchased two chicks from a well-known silkie/cochin breeder in the area and am regretting it terribly. I purchased them to add underneath my broody hen who had hatched a few other chicks. They sneezed a few times in the car, when the others I had picked up didn't, but that was it. Well of course it spread to the other chicks, and although the others have recovered (besides residual sneezing), the two I purchased are still sickly and very unthrifty. The cochin breaths heavily and just looks sick, and the silkie has stopped growing and is also having trouble breathing as well as not eating well.

I've contacted her about this issue but have not heard anything. What do I do in this situation? Is it wrong to ask for my money back since I may end up culling these unthrifty birds due to their illness? Ironically enough I got chicks for her LAST year and had the same problem prop up, but I blamed a hatchery chick for it. Who would have thought $10 chicks would be the root of the problem? UGH

Anyway, not sure what to do here. I'm upset and feel like I've been duped. I recall her having a sick rooster she was treating when I visited, but he wasn't in the chick area and I didn't really pay much attention to that...however wouldn't you be able to tell if you had sickness running through your brooders and choose NOT to sell them?!

Maybe I just needed a place to vent.
I know how you feel. I purchased a silkies pullet and had her shipped spent $110 all together. When she showed up she was covered in lice eggs and mites. She ended up dying a week later. I did everthing I could to treat and help her. She just didnt recover. I told the breeder about the lice and mites but never asked for my money back. Now I am thinking I should have;-(

Hi from Redmond, OR. Any other Central Oregonians? I'm new to chickens. I live in town and have 1 yellow sex-link, 2 black sex-links, 1 light Brahma bantam pullet and 1 buff Brahma bantam pullet (hopefully....she/he might be a roo
sad.png
) of course the one that might be a roo, Honey, is my favorite!! The sex-links are about 15 weeks old and the two lil bantams are about 8 weeks old. No eggs yet....hopefully soon! My husband built a coop/tractor and the girls love it. Although the big girls scare the lil girls.....so its a little sketchy when all 5 are together. They all free range in the yard during the day and they leave each other alone. But in the coop the lil girls are nervous, but they always seem ok in the morning....no blood or pecked out feathers....guess its just all the pecking order working its way out. I plan on keeping Honey until a crow or an egg.
smile.png
I love her too much....gonna enjoy her as long as possible.....maybe the neighbors will never complain. :)
Ok....thanks for listening all about me!
-Liz
I live in town too (Medford though). Anyway I have a rooster. I just put him in the garage everynight (he even waits at the back door for me to put him away so cute) and I cover his cage with a blanket. Then around 10 everyday I put him out with his girls. He crows for a little while then is quiet the rest of the day. No one has said anything and it has been 3 months. Hope Honey turns out to be a girl but there is still hope if Honey is a boy
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom