Organic Egg Certification: Not Worth It

Uncle Marc

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 12, 2011
Poplar Grove Kentucky
WOW! I just got off the phone with an "organic" certification representative and what an eye opener.

Did you know that in order to sell eggs with the word "organic" on them the chickens can't have any access to treated lumber, or be on ground which has come into contact with treated lumber for three years? That means any posts for fences, or posts for your coop or your deck or any out buildings cannot have any treated lumber exposed to the chickens or the ground they walk on, including the pastures they walk in.

In fact, there is a serious question about where the water they get comes from(which might have to be tested), as well as any chemicals (roundup, yard fertilizer, etc) in use anywhere around them.

You can give your chickens no medications, no supplements and no treatments for pests or other afflictions.

The USDA owns the rights to the word "organic" and unauthorized use of it carries an $11,000 fine. PLUS the gov't just gave them a $9 million grant for enforcement.

Add all that stuff up and then consider the number of "visits" your operation will get from government agents and in my humble opinion, it isn't worth it.

Quote:
Pressure treated lumber lasts. That is why people use it. They'd rather not have their coop floorboards rotting out after a few years. Not all treated wood is evil, some are treated more naturally. Beekeepers will often dip their wooden beehive boxes into vats of hot linseed oil for treating. That is 'treated' lumber, but with an edible oil. Sure, plenty of companies use chemicals like chromated copper arsenate and whatnot, but unless you're chewing the wood, burning it and inhaling the smoke, etc. it is fine.

Anyway, OP, probably a good idea to decide not to go along with the organic silliness. Just an excuse for the government to breathe down your neck.

Yep. It's this stuff, and not the actual cost of the product otherwise, that makes certified organic things so expensive. It's gotten so that most people take the word "organic" on a label to mean nothing all all more than "more expensive."

Organic just means organic. It doesn't mean anything else. If you want to raise them with exposure to chemicals, then do it. Just don't call them organic.

Nobody has to raise anything organically. If you aren't already living, gardening or raising any livestock organically, I'm sure it's a shock. Chemical usage is extensive in our society.

If all you want is to make more money off your eggs and you don't want to be bothered with organic certification, then think of some other way to market your eggs so that you can boost the price. Try giving them a happier lifestyle or feeding them a better diet, so the eggs are more nutritious. Lots of people would go for that.

Quote:
Which chemicals, specifically?

as previously mentioned, chromated copper arsenate which literally leaks arsenic - - and, as such, has literally been banned by the EPA in certain areas. also, copper chemicals are used - - which also leaks and is toxic to insects/plants/etc (just in-case you didn't know copper was toxic).

listen, you don't have to take my word for it. look it up. this isn't a secret. the information is widely available to all. or, you could just read the warnings posted in areas that sell treated lumber. you know, the ones that say you should always wear gloves, to not breathe the sawdust, to not burn the treated lumber, etc, etc.

aside from all the independent studies and organizations saying there are hazards, the companies themselves tell you their product causes damage - - and the government telling you it's dangerous - - you still think it's ok? everyone is lying and misled? lol.

it's bad stuff. believe it. or don't.

Well that settles it for me....If the government says it's dangerous then it must be safe. I wouldn't trust the government to tell me it was night-time if the clock showed 2:30 am and it was pitch black outside!

Too many people make mountains out of molehills just because somebody with a government grant(from the money the government stole from me and called taxes) saw a lab mouse die from being injected with 50cc of Pepsi five times a day for two years.

Grow up people and think for yourselves instead of depending on the government to be your seeing-eye dog!

I have a few problems with the term"Organic":
1. The term "Organic" is a misnomer the proper term should be "naturally raised or grown."(A bell pepper is organic regardless of how many chemicals are on it.)
2. In order to have eggs certified as organic the chickens must be able to free range for part of the day.( that means you have no control on what just rained or blew onto your pasture.)
3. I think people forget why we started using chemicals in the first place. (We are all to young to remember what a swarm of locust can do to an entire Ag. region.)
4. Regardless of what you are told it is not sustainable for a country of 350 million people.( One major crop failure and we go into famine.)

Back
Top Bottom