Organic Egg Certification: Not Worth It

I don't know of a single fence that doesn't use treated 4x4s for fence posts. Out here in the Pacific northwest, where it is soggy 3/4 of the year, untreated lumber just doesn't last. People do use ceder, but it's lifespan is much shorter. I used ceder on all the posts that touch earth on my coop. But every fencepost around me is treated along with the cross posts. There is simply no way of getting around treated lumber.

Plastic lumber-the stuff made from recycled shopping bags and plastic bottles-is available and seems to do well out here. But it is still way more expensive than wood and who knows what the long term effects of that stuff is.

Finally, if you are worried about treated lumber, run scared from railroad ties. Creosote is probably the most toxic substance know to man that is still used as a wood preservative. Worst of all, there are railroad tracks everywhere...

Quote:
Pressure treated lumber lasts. That is why people use it. They'd rather not have their coop floorboards rotting out after a few years. Not all treated wood is evil, some are treated more naturally. Beekeepers will often dip their wooden beehive boxes into vats of hot linseed oil for treating. That is 'treated' lumber, but with an edible oil. Sure, plenty of companies use chemicals like chromated copper arsenate and whatnot, but unless you're chewing the wood, burning it and inhaling the smoke, etc. it is fine.

Anyway, OP, probably a good idea to decide not to go along with the organic silliness. Just an excuse for the government to breathe down your neck.

i do not know of a single home built with treated lumber. not one. and there's a reason for that.

Every stick of dimentional lumber used in every house built in Key West, FL. since the '70s is PT. And there's a reason for that too! Take it to the bank.

Back to the original topic- you can legally label your product "organic" without being certified as long as your sales of this product are under $5000 in a year. We agree that organic standards are ridiculous and in some cases are no better than conventional for animals. We are certified through another agency called Animal Welfare Approved. If you want to check them out we have a link on our website.

Quote:
I was informed differently by the official state certification agent for the USDA. He said they own the rights to the word"organic" and no one can use it without being certified. Was he wrong?

Quote:
Which chemicals, specifically?

as previously mentioned, chromated copper arsenate which literally leaks arsenic - - and, as such, has literally been banned by the EPA in certain areas. also, copper chemicals are used - - which also leaks and is toxic to insects/plants/etc (just in-case you didn't know copper was toxic).

listen, you don't have to take my word for it. look it up. this isn't a secret. the information is widely available to all. or, you could just read the warnings posted in areas that sell treated lumber. you know, the ones that say you should always wear gloves, to not breathe the sawdust, to not burn the treated lumber, etc, etc.

aside from all the independent studies and organizations saying there are hazards, the companies themselves tell you their product causes damage - - and the government telling you it's dangerous - - you still think it's ok? everyone is lying and misled? lol.

it's bad stuff. believe it. or don't.

Well that settles it for me....If the government says it's dangerous then it must be safe. I wouldn't trust the government to tell me it was night-time if the clock showed 2:30 am and it was pitch black outside!

Too many people make mountains out of molehills just because somebody with a government grant(from the money the government stole from me and called taxes) saw a lab mouse die from being injected with 50cc of Pepsi five times a day for two years.

Grow up people and think for yourselves instead of depending on the government to be your seeing-eye dog!

If it all comes from the earth then it is organic.
hmm.png
It is just a label for a certain crowd that has an idea in thier head that one will never get it out of thier head... a lost cause.
sad.png
You are right not worth it just call it "all natural".

From a third party auditor's website-

"Who has to be certified?
The USDA regulations require that all producers and handlers that make an organic claim for their products must be certified by a USDA-accredited certification agency. The only exceptions are for small farmers or handlers with less than $5,000 in gross organic sales, handlers that buy and sell without repackaging or changing form, and retailers that do not process food. Exempt operations must maintain records and follow the exact same production practices as certified farmers in order to label their products as organic."

After a little further research, you can not use the "usda certified organic" sticker in this circumstance, but you are free to label your product "organic" without any worry of fines.

As far as marketing your products with the term "organic", many states allow you to apply for an organic exemption if you have less than $5k in sales. You have to fill out forms listing all your soil inputs (if you are a grower) and sign an affidavit that you are following the rules of the National Organic Program. It's less hassle and much cheaper than getting officially certified, but you do have to follow the same rules and face the same fines if you are in violation of the NOP rules. If you aren't comfortable with or familiar with the rules, then you're probably better off not using the term "organic". My understanding is that you can have the chickens vaccinated, but cannot give them medicated feed, chemical dewormer, or antibiotics. And they have to be fed organic feed that's free of GMO grains.

I have raised my chickens organically thus far, but I will deworm or give them antibiotics if they need it, so I'm not sure that I'll be able to keep them all in the organic program. Despite what people here tell you, the NOP doesn't think you should let a sick chicken suffer. They do advise to treat the chicken, but it's my understanding that any animal that's given antibiotics or a chemical dewormer is out of the organic program for life. This is probably easier for a large scale operation to deal with, just cull sick birds. My birds are more like pets, and if they need to be treated for an illness, I'll treat them.

I have a few problems with the term"Organic":
1. The term "Organic" is a misnomer the proper term should be "naturally raised or grown."(A bell pepper is organic regardless of how many chemicals are on it.)
2. In order to have eggs certified as organic the chickens must be able to free range for part of the day.( that means you have no control on what just rained or blew onto your pasture.)
3. I think people forget why we started using chemicals in the first place. (We are all to young to remember what a swarm of locust can do to an entire Ag. region.)
4. Regardless of what you are told it is not sustainable for a country of 350 million people.( One major crop failure and we go into famine.)

Back
Top Bottom