Organic (or NON-GMO) All Flock ???

You do not have to stop feeding your chick starter when the hens start laying. The bag only states that because hens need calcium and they want you to switch to their layer feed. You can continue to feed the chick starter as long as you provide oyster shells on the side for your hens.
Fact ! Well said.

You do not have to stop feeding your chick starter when the hens start laying. The bag only states that because hens need calcium and they want you to switch to their layer feed. You can continue to feed the chick starter as long as you provide oyster shells on the side for your hens.
I have been feeding my pullets/cockerel grower feed. Is this the same situation? Just add OSs?

I have been feeding my pullets/cockerel grower feed. Is this the same situation? Just add OSs?
Yes you can with a grower feed. Many times grower and starter are synonymous depending on the brand. Other times the same brand might have a "starter" that is a crumble and a "grower" that is pellets, but nutritionally in most cases they are exactly the same.

I looked it up and it stated to stop feeding when the hens start laying. I am in the same predicament with hens, pullets and a cockerel.
Yes that is where I struggled. I ended up mixing Organic layer pellets with Organic grower pellets from Green Mountian Organics.. we have turkeys, roosters and egg layers free ranging

You do not have to stop feeding your chick starter when the hens start laying. The bag only states that because hens need calcium and they want you to switch to their layer feed. You can continue to feed the chick starter as long as you provide oyster shells on the

Yes that is where I struggled. I ended up mixing Organic layer pellets with Organic grower pellets from Green Mountian Organics.. we have turkeys, roosters and egg layers free ranging
The feedback I just received was to continue grower feed but add oyster shells for the laying hens. Good luck with yours. :)

Thank you! I have only had chickens for about 4 months now. Lots to learn. :)
Yes I have learned that. But I do not know why I have had 3 egg bound hens in my first year. They get good food, enough nesting boxes for the 7 gens, free range and I have oyster shells out. This particular hen seems to only want one nesting box though.

Yes I have learned that. But I do not know why I have had 3 egg bound hens in my first year. They get good food, enough nesting boxes for the 7 gens, free range and I have oyster shells out. This particular hen seems to only want one nesting box though.
What type of oyster shell are you using? Are your hens eating it? Some types of oyster shell hens prefer over others. For example, mine will barely touch the white pebbly looking oyster shell, but they love the grey flakes oyster shell that Scratch and Peck have.

Back
Top Bottom