Organic (or NON-GMO) All Flock ???

What type of oyster shell are you using? Are your hens eating it? Some types of oyster shell hens prefer over others. For example, mine will barely touch the white pebbly looking oyster shell, but they love the grey flakes oyster shell that Scratch and Peck have.
Mine are the pebbles.

Thank you! I have only had chickens for about 4 months now. Lots to learn. :)
What type of oyster shell are you using? Are your hens eating it? Some types of oyster shell hens prefer over others. For example, mine will barely touch the white pebbly looking oyster shell, but they love the grey flakes oyster shell that Scratch and Peck have.
I go to the beach and find oyster shells and the reason is similar to your hens, they were not touching the pro manna oyster shells. I started giving them egg shells and the amount they would have to eat wouldnt supplement what they need. Researching oyster shells more, i learned that a lot of them are not even real oyster, instead, something else that still 'does the job', i guess; but my hens wouldnt touch it. They do in fact eat the real oyster shells and when i crack an egg, sometimes its like 2 shells! At first they were anyway, until the novelty ran out. anything new in run gets throughly investigated! Their egg shells are perfect now. If i could afford Peck and Scratch brand i would be using that as my chicken feed full time. As well as oyster shells b/c, well, have you ever crushed ouster shells by hand? I do it with a rock and they dont crush too easily. I actually leave some crushed oyster shells on the ground outside of the coop inbetween my paver rocks. I see them pecking them from time to time.pic is Rosie enjoying some now! Lol

Attachments

• EB04C0AA-DBF9-4454-A7D0-DBB181EAFD3F.jpeg
    EB04C0AA-DBF9-4454-A7D0-DBB181EAFD3F.jpeg
    904.9 KB · Views: 1
I go to the beach and find oyster shells and the reason is similar to your hens, they were not touching the pro manna oyster shells. I started giving them egg shells and the amount they would have to eat wouldnt supplement what they need. Researching oyster shells more, i learned that a lot of them are not even real oyster, instead, something else that still 'does the job', i guess; but my hens wouldnt touch it. They do in fact eat the real oyster shells and when i crack an egg, sometimes its like 2 shells! At first they were anyway, until the novelty ran out. anything new in run gets throughly investigated! Their egg shells are perfect now. If i could afford Peck and Scratch brand i would be using that as my chicken feed full time. As well as oyster shells b/c, well, have you ever crushed ouster shells by hand? I do it with a rock and they dont crush too easily. I actually leave some crushed oyster shells on the ground outside of the coop inbetween my paver rocks. I see them pecking them from time to time.pic is Rosie enjoying some now! Lol
Wait, thats not rosie! That's Delicious in the picture, lol 🤣🐓❤️

The Scratch and Peck is bit pricier for sure. I personally prefer Kalmbach feeds over Scratch and Peck because it's not only cheaper, but I think it is much better formulated. However, I happily pay scratch and pecks price for their oyster shells. My husband was looking at the bank account the other day and said "Did you just spend $60 on oyster shells? What in the world is that?!" I told him nevermind what $60 oyster shells are he just bought a brand new tractor so he can't complain😂 I only wish they had bigger bags of it that way I don't have to buy 3-4 little 5lb. bags of it at a time.

The Scratch and Peck is bit pricier for sure. I personally prefer Kalmbach feeds over Scratch and Peck because it's not only cheaper, but I think it is much better formulated. However, I happily pay scratch and pecks price for their oyster shells. My husband was looking at the bank account the other day and said "Did you just spend $60 on oyster shells? What in the world is that?!" I told him nevermind what $60 oyster shells are he just bought a brand new tractor so he can't complain😂 I only wish they had bigger bags of it that way I don't have to buy 3-4 little 5lb. bags of it at a time.
"Never mind what $60 of oyster shells are", lmao! And here i got chickens to possibly save some money on eggs! HA!!! 🐓❤️

"Never mind what $60 of oyster shells are", lmao! And here i got chickens to possibly save some money on eggs! HA!!! 🐓❤️
I'm dying over here....🤣🤣 I can so see that conversation.. okay 60$ is alot of money for extra calcium. I told my husband between the vitamins, apple cider vinegar, oregano oil and feed we spend enough on the flock. If it was up to him he would want more.. I have to hold him back.. Lol

I'm dying over here....🤣🤣 I can so see that conversation.. okay 60$ is alot of money for extra calcium. I told my husband between the vitamins, apple cider vinegar, oregano oil and feed we spend enough on the flock. If it was up to him he would want more.. I have to hold him back.. Lol
$60 sounds like a lot initially, but I have 40+ birds between my chickens and ducks so I buy three $20 bags at a time which last me around 3 months. If I had a smaller flock of 5-10 chickens one $20 bag would last me for quite awhile.

Back
Top Bottom