Other meat choices for dog food?

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
I used to make a chicken gravy (with chunks of chicken) to go on the puppy's dry kibble instead of using canned food, but he didn't like my gravy.
tongue.gif
So now I just boil chicken and grind it up with some of the broth in the food processor and use that on the dry kibble.
DH thinks the pup may be getting bored with chicken and would like to try using other meats as well. He's mentioned trying liver, since it's inexpensive like the chicken is.
Besides being absolutely gross to cook, wouldn't too much liver be bad for him?
He also gets chicken livers in his cookies and training treats.

I wouldn't want to feed my dog too much beef liver because of diarhhea. Guaranteed.

Pork, venison, beef, duck, goose, goat, sausage w/o nitrites, lots of choices! Fish, egg custard type stuff - cheap because no meat!
That's it - doggie hollandaise sauce! Who could resist?

Chicken is probably the best meat for him. Low fat and all that.

I have always used the approach that....unless puppy/kitty stops eating, I dont change anything.

If puppy seems to be doing well with the chicken, I wouldnt fix what isnt broken.

*and I couldnt cook liver either...gag*

I really don't think dogs need variety.

Since I had my rottie who ruptured her right rear ACL then eight months later the left rear ACL, the vet said to cut out all people food and just feed dry food to keep her lean. I too used to do the homemade gravy and bits of meat bit.

That was 10+ yrs ago and all dogs after her only get kibble with a little hot water added to soak in a little to make a little broth so it's not dry. I buy premium dog food from Petsmart. Add a teaspoon of DE.

I've had to buy the bowls with the big posts in the middle because my dogs just wolf their food down.

I have two dogs who get a little extra on their food (the third dog hoovers his food down and needs no encouragement). One dog is quite elderly and has cancer, and I need something to hide her pills in (she'll pick them out of the kibble). The other one is just not an enthusiastic eater, and the extra stuff at least gets him to come investigate the bowl. He's a skinny pup, so I like to see him eat every day. Not all dogs enthusiastically suck down their food!

I make homemade chicken broth from cheap cuts of chicken, then pick the meat off, throw in some rice and carrots, and cook it all up. Usually makes enough for a week or so, with lots of broth left over for our use. No onions in the broth though - that's bad for dogs.

My vet said not to use liver because it's a filter organ, and it's likely to have a higher concentration of stuff you don't want your dog to have. She's our dogs oncologist, so we'll take her word for it.

I used to just use canned dog food, but cooking chicken for them is much cheaper, and at least I know it's human quality food.

Quote:
Like Stefrobrts mentioned about their dog, our pup is not an enthusiastic eater. The meat on his dry kibble is a compromise between a fully homecooked diet and commercially prepared canned food.
Plus, he's fast growing and needs all the protein he can get.
I hadn't thought about the liver being a filter organ, I'll mention that to hubby.
The chicken is cheap and easy to make a batch that lasts a week. About every third day I substitute yogurt for the chicken at one meal and he loves yogurt.

Last edited:
First of all what kind of dog big- small ? Has anyone done the research on RAW! Cooking destroys any nutrients meat may have, raw bone is loaded w all kinds of really good stuff. Sure there are pros and cons but. the pros far out weight the cons. If you really knew what was in moderately and low cost kibble you would really barf. HA! B.A.R.F. really check it out.

Back
Top Bottom