Our coop

lindan3754

In the Brooder
Jul 27, 2015
Camarillo CA
So we started building our coop not knowing anything about what we need I live in Southern California so weather is nice.... does get cold at night sometimes when we made our coop at start we had no walls just On bottom half and half of coop had roof other half didn't ...now we are thinking we need a night coop all enclosed and than a day run see pics ? My question is since it's so nice here to we need it completely boarded up I'm thinking gonna be too hot , I was thinking leaving front open (just wire) than we added a day run ...just my daughter and I building this ;) I was thinking the one to leave u can see here and if it gets cold we have a board to cover it .... Hope with pic u can see what I mean ...inside night coop the nesting boxes in there and roost and food water ...

So am I over thinking this I want my chicks comfy should I board it all up or leave front open for air ?

Leave it open, you're in southern Cal, You don't get cold weather. Look at the pic below. The coop's front wall is wide open, year round, covered only with hardware cloth. We get temps to 0 F, not including any windchill, and the chickens have no problems at all. Open-air is the way to go.

900x900px-LL-f52d3bc5_55557_img_1349.jpeg

Oh wow haha i guess im over thinking it :) I just didn't want a draft coming in , getting them sick :) so i will leave the front open cover the rest ....thank you :)

Back
Top Bottom