Our little chicken coop in Progress!

Thanks so much for sharing your progress. I'm in planning stages of building a 6x10 hen house. So this is perfect! Keep us updated! I'm taking notes!

That's the outside. Not too fancy, some painting and flower boxes should fix that up.

@Marylani - I'm pleased to hear that my little updates may be useful for you! I will certainly continue to update the thread as I go - and thanks for the encouragement!

@ChickonInc - the shed looks great, and some painting and flower boxes should go a long way toward schmancy! :) It really is huge - how many chickens do you have? Do you plan on expanding your flock(I know you said it would comfortably house up to 90 chickens)??
As far as my talent at building ... I remember shortly after Sue and I first met, about 12 years ago, she was going to purchase an outdoor bird stand for our cockatoo.
I had never built anything before - I don't think I even owned a drill yet - but the bird stand looked simple enough, and we had some old weathered 2x4's and 4x4's laying on the side of the house, so I talked her into letting me build it for her.
I'll tell you, this thing was about the ugliest bird stand you ever did see! :) I wish I still had it, I'd post pictures - anyway, it was crooked as heck; no matter how you tried to prop it up, it wouldn't stand up straight.
Sue and I had a good time poking fun at my ugly little bird stand - but truth be told, Sue and the bird loved it! If nothing else, there was pride in my ugly bird stand - and I was hooked!
From then on, I've found reasons to try and build anything! Of course, Sue knows and understands this, so she encourages me by coming up with things we need(that I could build) - over the years, I've improved with practice, and my collection of tools has improved as well(which certainly helps!)
I guess the moral of the story is that building doesn't necessarily require talent as much as it requires patience, passion, willingness to laugh at yourself - and of course an amazing wife(or hubby)!
Unfortunately, my schedule doesn't allow me to get much work done outside on Monday/Tuesday, so I haven't done any work on the coop yet this week - plus it's been all rainy ..
hmm.png
But I'm hoping I will be able to make some progress tomorrow, and I will post pics/updates as I am able!

Thanks,
T&S

I guess so, sadly, I am not able to start on the shed because I'm on vacation until tomorrow. But, that's okay.
big_smile.png
My budget is non-existent
lau.gif
gig.gif
But, that reality for me at least.

Last edited:
I have only 5 chickens. It will fit 130 most likely with the up stairs. My chickens are spoiled. ;-;

@ChickonInc if you chickens don't like the coop, I can always move in!! Hope you had a great vacation. My uncle is ready to start framing my coop later today. so excited!

Last edited:
Lol, it's big enough to be a house to humans
1f605.png
not gonna make upstairs for chickens. It's too high up gonna just store stuff upstairs. Idk what to do with the old coop, gonna house chicks in it. Turns out the shed needs some work to look fancy not too excited
1f625.png

@ChickonInc - the shed sounds .. enormous! :) You should post pics, especially for the before and after! We really do appreciate the kind words, and Sue and I agree that this is a journey, not a hobby.
highfive.gif
We've already grown attached, and the chicks are already developing personality - they're awesome!

I don't know about fancy dancy - probably closer to fancy schmancy?? <insert cheesy smiley> :-] </end cheesy smiley> I agree, VA really is a beautiful state!

@PapaChaz - Thanks for the feedback! Nothing like a strange angle to mess up a door.
smile.png
During recent renovations, I decided to screen in our front porch. 1st step? Screen door. I framed it out in about 20 minutes, easy peasy, square and level. Tried to hang the door, and it won't close???
Started re-measuring, looking around, second guessing, the hokey pokey, you name it .. it took me over an hour to figure out that the porch itself was not level, LOL.
I ended up having to rebuild the frame, and make it crooked on purpose - which in its own way is more fun anyway!
Thankfully, with this build, the 4x4 where the people door will be is pretty darned straight, and I think the siding/trim will help to hide the crooked frame.
oh goodness, we bought a 90 year old house (where we are now) and started some remodeling......bahahahahaha at ANYTHING being square, plumb or level.

the coop and run is looking great by the way!

Back
Top Bottom