Our very 1st Egg!

newtsdaisies

Chirping
Apr 30, 2023
When TSC was having their Chick Days, we purchases what we thought were 2 RIR's and 2 barred rocks (all supposed to be pullets). We have been excitedly awaiting our first egg (they turned 18 weeks yesterday) and it was one of our 'Rhode islands' except she laid a blue/green egg so I guess she's an easter egger lol. She decided to lay this egg in the sand in the run even though she kept going in and out of the nesting box (I believe that was our fault because we had some chicken toys (including a ball) in the sand). Regardless it's a beautiful egg and i'm so excited to have such an awesome surprise!

Ducky (8).jpg 20230816_153337.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, what a beautiful egg, congratulations! :woot First eggs are always super special! Sometimes they do lay in the run the first time, hens don't always know the exact moment they need to get into the nest box. This sensation will get easier to recognize after an egg or two.
That's really good to know!!! These are our first chickens so it's as new of an experience to us as it is to them! We went ahead and removed the balls out of the run in any case, so hopefully she'll catch on! It's so funny because originally I wanted Easter Egger's or some sort of colorful laying hens but the Ameraucanas they had at TSC were mix run and we didn't want a rooster so we went with RIRs and BRs instead!

That's really good to know!!! These are our first chickens so it's as new of an experience to us as it is to them! We went ahead and removed the balls out of the run in any case, so hopefully she'll catch on! It's so funny because originally I wanted Easter Egger's or some sort of colorful laying hens but the Ameraucanas they had at TSC were mix run and we didn't want a rooster so we went with RIRs and BRs instead!
Get some of those ceramic eggs, they are perfect for nest boxes. It not only lures them to always want to lay in the boxes but helps prevent egg eating since these eggs are hard and impenetrable.

Easter Eggers lay the prettiest eggs, I have never kept them, I should! :D

Get some of those ceramic eggs, they are perfect for nest boxes. It not only lures them to always want to lay in the boxes but helps prevent egg eating since these eggs are hard and impenetrable.

Easter Eggers lay the prettiest eggs, I have never kept them, I should! :D
We have a white golf ball in each of the nesting boxes because I read they have the same effect? But if they don't seem to work then I'll definitely get some ceramic or wooden eggs!

They're beautiful!!! I read a lot about how the first eggs might be misshapen or look strange so I was not expecting just a pretty egg! Other than being small it's gorgeous!

We have a white golf ball in each of the nesting boxes because I read they have the same effect? But if they don't seem to work then I'll definitely get some ceramic or wooden eggs!

They're beautiful!!! I read a lot about how the first eggs might be misshapen or look strange so I was not expecting just a pretty egg! Other than being small it's gorgeous!
My birds weren't so easily fooled and kept rolling the golf balls out on the floor. :lol: You can get them at Walmart cheap enough..

Screenshot_20230816-141039_Chrome.jpg

They look so real the birds definitely believe they are real. This said, if your birds don't mind golf balls then that's good too!

Some birds will lay tiny first eggs and some lay normal sized ones. Some lay double yolkers until they get their egg laying machines in gear.

My birds weren't so easily fooled and kept rolling the golf balls out on the floor. :lol: You can get them at Walmart cheap enough..

View attachment 3610953

They look so real the birds definitely believe they are real. This said, if your birds don't mind golf balls then that's good too!

Some birds will lay tiny first eggs and some lay normal sized ones. Some lay double yolkers until they get their egg laying machines in gear.
Oh that's good to know too!!! I'll see what our local walmart has! They haven't bothered the golf balls we've had them in there for about a week. She was in the nesting box this morning in and out scratching at the turf we have in there so I think you might be right about she just wasn't expecting to lay at that moment.

Oh that's good to know too!!! I'll see what our local walmart has! They haven't bothered the golf balls we've had them in there for about a week. She was in the nesting box this morning in and out scratching at the turf we have in there so I think you might be right about she just wasn't expecting to lay at that moment.
Enjoy this new adventure, and the eggies, 🥚 🥚 chickens are SO much fun to keep!! :)

Back
Top Bottom