Outdoor brooder - tips please!

AmeliaBedelia

Crowing
Jan 23, 2021
Georgia, USA
I have 10 baby chicks coming next month. I have secured a crib (photo below) I am going to hopefully convert into a brooder on our back deck. What I am not sure about is the best way to make it weather and predator proof.

Here it is:
03A3CE53-4DA8-4018-BAB6-8EF418C9491F.jpeg

It does have legs, but I can’t find the bolts to attach them and figure they probably aren’t necessary. The deck is one story up, but there are stairs to ground level. It is not covered, so my brooder will need a roof.

Ok so as far as predator-proofing goes, thinking we will want a solid floor, back wall, and roof. But hardware cloth or similar for the front wall for ventilation? Would you guys recommend solid or wire to cover the 2 inch wide slits on the sides? It will be April and May when we are brooding them, so probably the lowest low will be around 50 degrees in April and highest high about 80 or 85 in May (all Fahrenheit). They will have a heat plate. Thinking one open wall might be better to avoid drafts, but let me know your thoughts.

Also would like input about the optimal floor height - I can set it at about 16 inches, 21.5 inches, or 27 inches from the top of the crib. Not including the height you lose when adding the solid floor and bedding. It’s less expensive if I have less height to predator proof, and having them off the floor helps with weather-proofing, but I don’t want them to be cramped.

For weather-proofing, how long of an overhang would you recommend for the roof on the open side(s)? I could also use a tarp and bungees if it is rainy.

And lastly, I am not super handy, so how would you go about slanting the roof away from the house so rain can run off in light of the fact that (1) it is also the lid to access the chicks and (2) it needs to be predator-proof? Looking for the easy and functional way, not the pretty way.

Ok and FOR REAL lastly, open to creative (CHEAP) ideas for materials. 😁

As far as the walls I'd do the walls on one third/one half solid, and the other side open wire mesh, sorta like how you see mine (backside mirrors the front):

brood2.jpg

Assuming the brooder is placed somewhere that has some draft protection (i.e. from the house's walls) and you set the heat source in the solid walled side, that should provide most of the weather protection you need.

You will need a heat source, which means electricity, which means it has to be out of the weather. Since you're in a warm climate, you need to protect against rain, mostly...? Would under the deck be better?

I would go with the tallest configuration if you're using a heat lamp. Then you can raise the lamp up as the needed temperature goes down.

I would not try to go cheap on the hardware cloth. Once you're done with the brooder, you can take the hardware cloth off and use it on the coop or run. Toward that end, I would wrap it around, instead of cutting pieces to size. You can attach it with zipties, and then remove it easily. (Half of my run is held together with zipties.)

Makeshift roof for the rain today…will definitely want a bit more slope and overhang to the real roof I think. Once the rain picked up, it didn’t keep the rain off the sides.

May also use a solid plastic barrier for the bottom half for additional moisture protection? Plus that would keep the bedding in the brooder better.

1050AF41-8DC3-428F-A9C2-430E9366D1CC.jpeg

Makeshift roof for the rain today…will definitely want a bit more slope and overhang to the real roof I think. Once the rain picked up, it didn’t keep the rain off the sides.

May also use a solid plastic barrier for the bottom half for additional moisture protection? Plus that would keep the bedding in the brooder better.

View attachment 3434655

Do you have access to scrap pieces of metal roofing?

I have acquired a number of those pieces and find them incredibly useful for my temporary structures.

Back
Top Bottom