Outside pot bellied pig house

sandy sea

Crowing
16 Years
Mar 19, 2008
Rogersville MO
I was planning to keep my 4 month old pot bellied pig in my newly built chicken coop and run with my chickens. She is smaller than the chickens. Just told that it would not be a good idea to keep her with the chickens. she might eat the eggs and chickens. Is this true? Anyone have any ideas or plans for a new PIG House and Run. Pictures would be great.

We have our pigs outside. They are not with the chickens, but the chickens go in and out of the pigs pen all day long. The pot bellies don't bother the chickens at all. Even eat and drink out of the same dishes at the same time...

As for the eggs??? They could possibly eat the eggs if laid on the ground.

Eventually your pot belly will get larger and could possibly do more damage to/with the chickens.
Specially if it's an unfixed male.

Our pot bellies have inside access to a large pen inside the barn, then a huge fenced in area outside. With a ramp for them to get in and out.

Hope that helps a little..
Shawna

Shawna How tall is the fence? We have bobcats and coyotes that would love to snack on my baby pot bellied pig. I was thinking that I would have to build a large run that is covered for safety. Sandy

Our fence is about 4 feet tall.....
It could be shorter, but was a little lazy when putting up the fencing for the pot bellys.
We do have all kinds of wild animals out here...Bear, fox, coyotes, wolves, deer, skunks, fishers, wood chucks, weasles just to name a few...
So far knock on wood nothing has ever tried to get one of the animals....

If the pig has an indoor access for night that you could close him into at night that might help...

I have heard bears love the sound of a squealing pig...We have never lost an animal to the bear yet...

Actually about 4 days ago our neighbor called around 3:30 p.m. and said he seen a huge black bear walking from our swap in the back.....A little scary to say the least as hubby was out there until 10:30 at night that night putting up sheep fencing so we could expand out pasture/paddocks....

Shawna

Shawna, Thanks for the information. I am new to this. Only had my chickens for one year and this little piggy for 2 months. Planning to get two ducks, how do ducks and PBP get along? Is it best to just keep one pig or could I consider getting another? She is still young. Soo many questions . Thanks, Sandy

Quote:
Our chicken pen is different than the pigs...(I hope that's what you were asking earlier~~the height of the pig pen fencing).
Our ducks are too heavy to really fly we have mascovy ducks. So they don't really go in the pot belly pigs pen. So I really can't answer that one for you...
We do have our chickens, ducks, and guinea together. They all get along fine together. Then when they are out free ranging the geese and peacocks are loose too....

I would suggest getting anoter pig for yours. They are social animals and do better when they have company. I wouldn't get a male (intact) unless you want babies. They can breed back there own moms I believe around 1 month old or so...
I would get either another female or a fix male...

Keep asking questions if you have them, I will gladly try and help you out...I have no real creditable information, only my own exsperiences and what the books say, but maybe it could help you too....

Glad to help
Shawna

Last edited:
Shawna, Thank you again for all the answers. I will have to let my husband know that I will be needing another pen and run for my pigs. { Noticed I changed the word pig to pigs ] Any pictures of yours? Sandy

PBPs are very docile and won't bother your chickens. My chickens are used to being around goats too, so they move out of the way when the fear of being stepped on is eminent. My chickens sleep with my PBP during the day and even eat out of his bowl while he's eating.

I have my pot bellied pig outside with the chickens ducks and guinea. He started out in a small corner pen inside the chicken yard with an igloo dog house and hay for shelter. the last few weeks he learned to get out of his pen and run the chicken yard, I worried at first how he would interact with the fowl but he basically ignores them and they him. He likes the chicken scratch though so I usually feed him first then put down the scratch. He still stays outside in the hay and dog igloos with a tarp over it ti help block the wind.

Back
Top Bottom