Overbearing Roosters

VMAY

Hatching
Jul 3, 2015
Brockwell, Arkansas
I bought 12 chicks 4 months ago with a chance of 4 of them being roosters. Well, I have 3 rooster (Aracana, Dominecker(?), and a Bantam)the rest are hens. I have noticed that my Aracan has become very aggressive with my Bantam rooster in just the past few days. I am concerned he may injure or kill him. I have no way of separating them because they are free range during the day and all in a coop at night. They were bought and raised together from 2 days old. I have never had any problems with them till recently.
Also all 3 of my roosters are attacking my hens, I'm figuring they are trying to mate (it's quite brutal)lol, I didn't think they were of age at 4 months. My hens have showed no signs of trying to lay eggs yet, and they are not very cooperative, so is this normal behavior? Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

It's very normal. Your roosters are now reaching the age of sexual maturity and hormones have taken over. The males are going to competing for dominance and breeding rights. Very likely your pullets will be run ragged, because the cockerels will keep trying to breed them,usually more than one at a time. For your hens' sakes, I would suggest cutting down to one male or separating them from the pullets.

Back
Top Bottom