Partridge Rock Thread

Pics
ronott1 thank you for the shout out.....the passing of my bosse bird Pepper has left a void in my little flock.

Your Welcome!

I did not get any responses to local breeders with PRs. It might be a good idea to get pullets from California Hatchery now and work on getting some Breeder quality PRs later.

Let is know how it works out for you!

Ron

Partridge Rock Experts, I need your help! I would love to add PR's to my flock but they're hard to find. I found someone selling a couple but I need help as I don't know what they should look like as young pullets. They are 12 weeks old. The first is being sold as a Partridge Rock. I'm concerned this is a roo but I don't know how fast they should be maturing. Anyway, is her plumage correct? She looks like she'd be a darker variety. The ones in back I'm told are Red Pencil Rocks? Anyone heard of those? They're supposed to be just a lighter red version of a Partridge. Does the plumage pattern fill in as they get older or since they're already feathered, is this what they'll look like as an adult?

Here's another picture of the lighter one. I love the partridge/pencil markings but I want them all over. Will she fill in with color or is that it?

Your Welcome!

I did not get any responses to local breeders with PRs. It might be a good idea to get pullets from California Hatchery now and work on getting some Breeder quality PRs later.

Let is know how it works out for you!

Ron

read some posts from some very unhappy forum members regarding California Hatchery....so I need to find another source for PR chicks. Now I'm checking out Chickens for Backyards. They have 3 chick minimum for this time of year.

read some posts from some very unhappy forum members regarding California Hatchery....so I need to find another source for PR chicks. Now I'm checking out Chickens for Backyards. They have 3 chick minimum for this time of year.
Yes, I wondered about them.

I hope you get some nice ones!

Partridge Rock Experts, I need your help! I would love to add PR's to my flock but they're hard to find. I found someone selling a couple but I need help as I don't know what they should look like as young pullets. They are 12 weeks old. The first is being sold as a Partridge Rock. I'm concerned this is a roo but I don't know how fast they should be maturing. Anyway, is her plumage correct? She looks like she'd be a darker variety. The ones in back I'm told are Red Pencil Rocks? Anyone heard of those? They're supposed to be just a lighter red version of a Partridge. Does the plumage pattern fill in as they get older or since they're already feathered, is this what they'll look like as an adult?

Here's another picture of the lighter one. I love the partridge/pencil markings but I want them all over. Will she fill in with color or is that it?

That darker colored bird is a male. No such thing as red pencilled. Sometimes people cross breed and make up names. The orange ones will remain mostly orange, with a little pattern on the wings. The one on the left appears to be female. Check the photos in this thread link below, from Aug 16, 2012 there are good illustrations of 13 week old male vs. female.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/456704/lightbox/

Last edited:
I posted 3 weeks ago about this Partridge Rock. Some responses on threads said it was a roo and some said pullet. Age is now 15 weeks. I still see a lot of the striping on the feathers and I thought a roo should have lost all that by now? And the pattern looks like it's changing to more of a lacing rather than a penciling...maybe this isn't even a Partridge Rock after all. I don't care what breed it ends up being as I think it might be a bantam too since it's smaller than the others (that's a 9 week old Australorp next to it). I'm more concerned whether this is a pullet or cockeral. Comb and wattles aren't bright red but definitely pink. Please help! :)

I'm in the same situation !!!

My PR started off from hatchery as a sexed pullet. OK - then as it grew - it was matching my other hens. Just the last few weeks "she" has developed a bigger comb, like the poster above, it is pink and not read - the other indicators look hennish ... but now I think it may be a roo ... and I have 3 roos already - can't have another.

The color is turning out PERFECT - so it will be a real shame if I have to cull this one.

I posted 3 weeks ago about this Partridge Rock. Some responses on threads said it was a roo and some said pullet. Age is now 15 weeks. I still see a lot of the striping on the feathers and I thought a roo should have lost all that by now? And the pattern looks like it's changing to more of a lacing rather than a penciling...maybe this isn't even a Partridge Rock after all. I don't care what breed it ends up being as I think it might be a bantam too since it's smaller than the others (that's a 9 week old Australorp next to it). I'm more concerned whether this is a pullet or cockeral. Comb and wattles aren't bright red but definitely pink. Please help! :)

That is a pullet. PR Cockerels Do not look like that at all.

they look like this:

51730_p1030544.jpg

Eventually PR Roosters look like the Kellogs Rooster--All black and reddish Orange. Also missing on yours is the Hackle and Saddle feathers along with the sickle tail feathers.

One telling difference is the lack of crowing. My Boys crowed well before 15 weeks old.

I will say that yours is looking a bit off from a PR so she is probably mixed with something else.

Last edited:
I would say it is a mix. Some hatchery mix with leghorn so have bigger combs. You get a leghorn type body also with these chickens. Good layer but more flighty.

Back
Top Bottom