Partridge Rock Thread

Pics

Well, I have a question for the PR people. I ordered a Barnevelder chick in addition to 15 other breeds, and as she began to feather out, I noticed that something was different. Enya is looks nothing like a Barnie, but yet, she doesn't resemble my Partridge Rock, Scarlett. Also, none of my Rocks ( 2 Barred, 1 Partridge, 1 White) lays a darker egg with obvious purplish/dusty rose tones. After inquiring about her a couple places on BYC, I have a majority telling me that she is definitely a PR. One kind individual even informed me that she is a "pure" PR, which I honestly was under the impression that they all would be considered pure. So any input concerning this beautiful mystery bird would be greatly appreciated.
smile.png

All three photos above are of Enya (the enigma chicken), while the two below are Scarlett (my definite PR) for comparison.

-Alex

Well, I have a question for the PR people. I ordered a Barnevelder chick in addition to 15 other breeds, and as she began to feather out, I noticed that something was different. Enya is looks nothing like a Barnie, but yet, she doesn't resemble my Partridge Rock, Scarlett. Also, none of my Rocks ( 2 Barred, 1 Partridge, 1 White) lays a darker egg with obvious purplish/dusty rose tones. After inquiring about her a couple places on BYC, I have a majority telling me that she is definitely a PR. One kind individual even informed me that she is a "pure" PR, which I honestly was under the impression that they all would be considered pure. So any input concerning this beautiful mystery bird would be greatly appreciated.
smile.png

All three photos above are of Enya (the enigma chicken), while the two below are Scarlett (my definite PR) for comparison.

-Alex
She is definitely a partridge hen. Check into what breeds the hatchery sells and see if there are other partridge breeds listen.

Does she lay eggs yet? If so, post a picture so that we can see the color.

She is definitely a partridge hen. Check into what breeds the hatchery sells and see if there are other partridge breeds listen.

Does she lay eggs yet? If so, post a picture so that we can see the color.
Meyer hatchery sells Partridge Penedesencas and Partridge Rocks, but that's just about the extent of it. There's no way Enya is a Penedesenca, as her eggs are far from being dark chocolate in color. I think I have a photo somewhere, so I'll include it. Thank you for the response, by the way!

Enya's egg is all the way to the left.

-Alex

Meyer hatchery sells Partridge Penedesencas and Partridge Rocks, but that's just about the extent of it. There's no way Enya is a Penedesenca, as her eggs are far from being dark chocolate in color. I think I have a photo somewhere, so I'll include it. Thank you for the response, by the way!

Enya's egg is all the way to the left.

-Alex
She is a partridge Penedesenca--That is a dark egg--about a 5 on the scale.

She is likely mixed with something because she is a bit too round but I have one that looks a lot like yours.

She is a partridge Penedesenca--That is a dark egg--about a 5 on the scale.

She is likely mixed with something because she is a bit too round but I have one that looks a lot like yours.

My goodness; thank you!
smile.png
You have been so helpful. For some reason, Penedesenca never crossed my mind. I'll admit, I'm slightly confused by now, because so many experts have wagered a guess on what breed or mix Enya is. Some have said PR, and others have thought an outcrossing between Barnevelder and Welsummer. But don't misunderstand me, I'm extremely appreciative of everyone's advice.

-Alex

Last edited:
My goodness; thank you!
smile.png
You have been so helpful. For some reason, Penedesenca never crossed my mind. I'll admit, I'm slightly confused by now, because so many experts have wagered a guess on what breed or mix Enya is. Some have said PR, and others have thought an outcrossing between Barnevelder and Welsummer. But don't misunderstand me, I'm extremely appreciative of everyone's advice.

-Alex
I am very happy to help. Partridge Penedesencas are very rare so it is understandable that they were hard to figure out. The leg color, shape, egg color, eye color and the comb will help with figuring this out. Yours does not have a good example of it, but look at the back to the comb--you will see a couple of sprigs there and that is the start of the kings comb that penedesencas have.

You can see better examples on my hens.

Back
Top Bottom