Partridge Rock Thread

Pics
Thanks! Your rooster is gorgeous. I always speak too soon it seems, because this morning my husband shot out of bed. I asked what was wrong, and then he started laughing. (I am partially deaf and didn't have my hearing aid in.). He told me to put my aid in and come to the window. At first he thought something was getting mauled by a bear in the woods, but then he realized it was General Tso practicing his crow. "aaaauuuuuuuuugggggghhhaaaaaaahhh!". LOL.
big_smile.png

Quote:
That's awesome! Does he sound kind of like a Canadian Goose? That's what Cock-a-doodle-doo sounded like at first. Pretty sad - but funny!! My husband is convinced that we got the rooster that wakes up all the other roosters to let them know it's time to get up.
big_smile.png

Quote:
At first it sounded like there was someone (a man) yelling like he was afraid or being attacked. It sounded like a person.

This morning it sounded a bit more like "grrrrrrrroooock-a-doooooogggle!" no "doo" yet, but it'll be interesting to hear the progression. I wonder if he hears us laughing at him.
tongue.png

Can anyone direct me to a good description of the correct partridge coloring for these guys? I've been studying the general rock standard, but I'm trying to narrow down my rooster pool to a few that I'd like to keep. I know with the pullets I need to wait until after the first molt to really judge them better, but I'm hoping with the roos, once I go over each one individually, I can start to identify a few that 1) don't meet the rock standard well and 2) don't meet the partridge coloring standard well. I can post pics too
smile.png
I'm so proud of my kids though. Joel Gilman invited me over to 'talk rock' so I'm hoping to do that this week. 1 of my 5 roos are his, along with 3 of my pullets. I am utterly thrilled with the pullets, they are just amazing.

Last edited:
If you have the APA standard of perfection that is all there is. The only other one is an old Plymouth Rock book that the club has on their web site. But to read it you need to be a memeber of the club. It is indepth on the feathers but it is n OLD standard so not upto date at all.

Cockeral colors will not all come in till first molt either. So you will have to wait. But I can tell you what you should look for. Black breast and tail can carry the beatle green in them. Dark ruby red neck and saddle feather. Neck feather to have some minor black lacing. Wings I will look up but I know they are more than one color. Legs yellow eye reddish bay. Tail set is 30 or 25 degrees I can not remeber. It is also hard to get on most roosters. Beaks should be horn shading to yellow or yellow.

Thanks! 2 of them have hackles that are definitely not the rich burgundy I've been seeing.. they're more golden in color. Don't know if that would be an immediate cull or not, or if that will change. One of them has much lighter shanks than the others. I was going to take good pics of everyone this weekend but looks like Irene is headed right at us unfortunately.. so will do pics today.

I would say if the cockeral has lighter color shanks with light neck feathers it is a cull. Non of mine are like that, thank goodness. If I see that it is in my females which is OK since they are brown based.

Chicken farmer I would not keep anything from that rooster your showing. He is way out of body form for a proper PR rooster. So far out it would takes years gettting correct even if he was bred to very correct hens. Sorry to tell you that but it is best you know now if you wish to work with this bred seriously. The hen below him also should go for she is too light in color.

One needs to be real strict on culling thier lines for this color has not be bred seriously for a bit and has lost much. But the good news is that it comes back purrty fast with correct culling. Luckily there are a couple of breeders that are selling some better than hatchery stock. Look to them to help upgrade yours. I woud say conact the one in VA too help with your breeding program.

Right now I stand at 30 total PR at my place. That soon will change as 7 to 8 will be gone. All my culls most that are sold to a hen only raiser. My oldest rooster is still alive but will be gone soon too as his replacement is growing well. I have 6 other roosters growing also that I plan to choose the best 4 from as keepers. I have certain things that I have to look out for in my stock here. One being comb in front. Seems Alpha passed on his curved front comb to at least one male offspring. Good thing he also passed on his nice long back and correct tail set. i am hoping to find at least 2 males without his comb that he sired. Time will tell.

This rooster is still only about four and a half months old. My experience with this breed tells me that the roosters are very slow to type out fully, to make any judgments before then would give the possibility of getting rid of good roosters. Secondly, hens give most of the genes that involve body shape, while the roosters (by genetics) give the codes for the feathering and the over-alll color; now this is just as a whole, rooster contribute to shape, just not as much as the hens do. Thirdly, the breed standard calls for the rooster and hens to have a gravy bowl like body shape. I know that the pics aren't that good, but if you could actually see and examine him you would see that the shape he exibits is what the standard calls for. Lastly, I am truly not concerned for what the standard says anyway. I breed chickens for what I think is the most beautiful. If it happens to fall in line with what the standard says, that great; but if it doesn't that's fine too. In any case, I would love to see some pics of your PR. You sound to me to be very knowledgeable about breeding this variety. Look forward to hearing from you.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom