Partridge Silkies - Nothing else

Pics

pennie1

Redneck Silkie
10 Years
Aug 17, 2009
Hiles
I know that we have a Silkie thread, but how about a partridge Silkie thread for JUST the partridge? I love the partridge and I'm sure others do also. Here are some pics of my babies.

This is Watson. I also have his brother that looks just like him except he doesn't have quite as heavy of feathering on his feet. They are 4 and 1/2 months old.
39292_watson.jpg

This is 1 of several pullets that I have. They all are in the same age range of 4 to 4 & 1/2 months.
39292_pullet3.jpg

Another pullet
39292_pullet1.jpg

These are from the second hatch. They are all between 5 wks. and 9 wks. old
39292_chick_7.jpg

39292_b2c.jpg

This last picture is of a cockerel from the first hatch. He is of awesome type and very large (hence the name Baby Huey). I have question on his color. Would he be considered blue?
39292_a.jpg

Thanks for any input and I hope others will post pictures of their beautiful partridge.

Pennie~~ THRILLED that you started this thread
celebrate.gif

Just love your beautiful Partridges; it's MY favorite color in Silkies too. You're right though---very few breeders show them (unfortunately). I always try to take 5 or 6 to the shows and am always surprised at the number of people who have never even seen a Partridge Silkie
ep.gif

I'll start with a couple of pics now, then add more later today...

48797_dscn0229.jpg

Spartacus--my main breeding cockerel

End of breeding season plus I didn't have luck finding anyone with an old Silkie female to be a companion to my 9-yr old Partridge female. One of my local feed stores had a couple half-grown young Silkies (one was Black and one was White) but I didn't want to deal w/ those colors. Black turns rusty red in our brutal SoCalif summer sun and White turns dingy yellow to dirty brown foraging in our chicken yard and garden beds. The feed stores have plenty of incoming baby chicks from hatcheries but I didn't want to deal with brand new babies, kiddie pools, heat lamps, etc.

So I finally contacted Amber Waves Silkies in Norco and bought a DNA-sexed Partridge female a little over a month old. She's a little bitty thing but already on solid foods like chick crumble, midget millet seeds, Amaranth seeds, grapes, cukes, produce treats and the little rascal already chased, caught & gulped down two large crickets on our kitchen floor! She follows me around the house because she is a lone chick w/ no other chick companions so this little bitty is going to be spoiled before she grows up to join the outdoor girls. It'll be interesting and possibly a challenge to get her and my old Partridge acquainted enough eventually before I release them together with the bigger standard hens.

Some pics
DSCN8198.JPG
DSCN8199.JPG
DSCN8223.JPG

ZZZZZZ - somebody fell asleep during Netflix!
DSCN8229.JPG

Look at the enormous feathered foot tucked under her! Her feet look like giant boots under her!
DSCN8232.JPG

Thanks a lot. I love the partridge and they don't seem to get the recognition that they deserve. I know partridge is 1 of those varieties that seems open to the interpretation of the judge at the shows and the people that breed them. That's why I would like to see pictures of other partridge Silkies. It would be great to see some that have done well at shows.

Back
Top Bottom