Partridge Silkies - Nothing else

And it is a nice bird Pennie:) Type first then color. I've recieved complements like that too on type and color from silkie judges. One being Glen See.
My comment was just to point out about purity of pens and when they are not the headaches they can cause. I think someone asked about benefit of crossing. Look at gray and partridge. How often to you run into sop varieity color and good type together? both male and female.

Last edited:
eyes are to be dark i would breed from her and keep the babies with dark eyes out of her make shure u breed to male with dark eyes

The female I have has dark eyes. She is in my avatar photo. This chick is only 6 weeks but I think it's a male. It is so nice. Perfect toe spacing and a ton of foot feathering. It already has a nice stance and real broad and solid chick. I'm really disappointed, but we'll see how it goes. Would brown eyes be a disqualification at a show? If not how many points off?

He's not lying on his back. I have him sitting up and I only have it on to contain him while I put the braces on his legs. He's perfectly content and not even trying to fight because he feels secure. He was in the wrap for maybe 5 minutes total. It's better than trying to contain a fighting frightened chick that could hurt himself by flopping around in your hands.
This baby is now up, walking around like nothing ever happened to him. He's perfectly fine. And Beth wasn't the one that did it, it was me...

Ok, sorry, did not get the whole post here! Had to chuckle, he looked like something from "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest"! Thought the straight jacket was a tad severe for spraddled legs, now I know the rest of the story!!
gig.gif
Cute pic none the less!

The female I have has dark eyes. She is in my avatar photo. This chick is only 6 weeks but I think it's a male. It is so nice. Perfect toe spacing and a ton of foot feathering. It already has a nice stance and real broad and solid chick. I'm really disappointed, but we'll see how it goes. Would brown eyes be a disqualification at a show? If not how many points off?

Peep, at 6 weeks, is it a permanent indication that the eyes will stay that color?? In my other breed, the eye color changes drastically over a period of months. Maybe the eyes will darken with age?

Ok, the other day is was drizzling here, and of course, all the Silkies saw no problem with going out in it! All got wet, thankfully, it was somewhat warm here for January. Any way, while they were wet, I was looking at things usually not noticeable when they are fluffy, specifically combs and eyes. Looking at my most promising boy, Kramer, my avatar at a younger age, I noticed his comb!
barnie.gif
Up at the very top are 2 very distinctive HORNS!!!
he.gif
Is this coming from a recessive gene from long ago Polish breedings? Or more up front Polish breedings?? Should I now cull him out of the flock? Not something I want to breed forward for sure!!! I was so disappointed to see it in him of all the birds, when all others had decent walnut combs! Comb problems seem to be the bane of my existence here in my other breed (Marans), and now this???

the horn used to be in the old silkies standard and was rescently taken out if that the only thing you dont like about him use him and keep babies that dont have it
Ok, the other day is was drizzling here, and of course, all the Silkies saw no problem with going out in it! All got wet, thankfully, it was somewhat warm here for January. Any way, while they were wet, I was looking at things usually not noticeable when they are fluffy, specifically combs and eyes. Looking at my most promising boy, Kramer, my avatar at a younger age, I noticed his comb!
barnie.gif
Up at the very top are 2 very distinctive HORNS!!!
he.gif
Is this coming from a recessive gene from long ago Polish breedings? Or more up front Polish breedings?? Should I now cull him out of the flock? Not something I want to breed forward for sure!!! I was so disappointed to see it in him of all the birds, when all others had decent walnut combs! Comb problems seem to be the bane of my existence here in my other breed (Marans), and now this???

Back
Top Bottom