Partridge Silkies - Nothing else

Okay, so I didn't read this whole thread (because who has time to go through 439 pages?) but I'm a bit confused. I have some beautiful bright red what-I-thought-were-partridge silkies. I love the colour so much better than these dark headed, goldish looking birds. Am I to understand that red in a partridge is wrong? Or perhaps I'm just not really clear on what colours I have? Photos below and please give me your opinion on their colour. The brighter reds are not show stock, but the dark hens were sold to me as such and I was so disappointed when I got them because their colour is ... well, so dull in comparison to my bright reddish ones. Can someone please clarify for me as I'd really like to get into breeding partridge silkies, but that is when I thought the colour was rich and red.

... for some reason I can't upload my photos. I'll keep trying.

Okay, so I didn't read this whole thread (because who has time to go through 439 pages?) but I'm a bit confused. I have some beautiful bright red what-I-thought-were-partridge silkies. I love the colour so much better than these dark headed, goldish looking birds. Am I to understand that red in a partridge is wrong? Or perhaps I'm just not really clear on what colours I have? Photos below and please give me your opinion on their colour. The brighter reds are not show stock, but the dark hens were sold to me as such and I was so disappointed when I got them because their colour is ... well, so dull in comparison to my bright reddish ones. Can someone please clarify for me as I'd really like to get into breeding partridge silkies, but that is when I thought the colour was rich and red.

... for some reason I can't upload my photos. I'll keep trying.
There is a range of acceptable color but they should be in a range of reddish bay coloring. When thinking of that color I think of variation of the bay color in horses which range from a pretty bright red to a dark reddish brown. The head is often darker ( a sort of slate grey) but should still be tipped with a bay coloring . It is sometimes hard to see that unless they are in good light. As importantly it needs to have the proper penciling in the feathers. In my opinion they shouldnt be bright "pumpkin" orange.

There is a range of acceptable color but they should be in a range of reddish bay coloring. When thinking of that color I think of variation of the bay color in horses which range from a pretty bright red to a dark reddish brown. The head is often darker ( a sort of slate grey) but should still be tipped with a bay coloring . It is sometimes hard to see that unless they are in good light. As importantly it needs to have the proper penciling in the feathers. In my opinion they shouldnt be bright "pumpkin" orange.

I like the darker roosters better. My rooster right now is one of the bright orange ones, and that just doesn't really say partridge to me. However, he's given me one son who's more red/orange than he is, and two sons that are much more towards what partridge should be according to the standard. I'll be using one of the dark sons to continue. I hope to eventually get that striking partridge that the large fowl roosters have.

Hi There

Just wanted to share a recent photo of my Partridge boy, he is 5-months old now. Guess he is too Red from what you are all saying but I do love his colour it glistens in the sunshine and has an amazing hue.

Sil

This one is my rooster, Pumpkin. He's an awesome protector of his flock and will even go out of his way to help the LF girls when one of the teenage LF boys go after them. He's just so orange!

His son, who is looking a bit more red than his father, but still bright.

These are his other two sons that I like the color on a bit better.

I can't wait to see how they look after they have their adult feathers in.

Back
Top Bottom