Pasty Butt Won't Come Off! Please Help!!!!

Sigh. Another one got pasty butt and it was just like me to pull fluff off of that one too. Now I have two little chicks picking at their butts. Ugh.

I usually use a paper towel soak it in warm water and you can drip the water onto the poop to get it softer to get off easier. Also, I usually try only to get enough to clear the vent -- it seems like the more times and longer you spend having to clean them the longer they keep it.

Also, a little ACV in the water should help :)

Good luck!

Thank you for the luck, this is very stressful for me since I am a first-timer. I have some ACV, but some people say it needs to be "with the mother". What does that mean? Because I don't think I have ACV "with the mother"... I can always go get some though.

With the mother means it is raw unfiltered and has some residue floating in the bottom of the bottle.
If the vinegar is for cleaning the vent it doesn't matter.
If it is for consumption (in their water) it should be raw unpasteurized.
Most people use organic Braggs ACV. It doesn't have to be organic but it does need to be raw. Pasteurization kills all the healthful enzymes.

You can get the chicks wet as long as the water is warm enough. Then you can use a hair dryer to blow dry them.

With the mother means it is raw unfiltered and has some residue floating in the bottom of the bottle.
Most people use organic Braggs ACV. It doesn't have to be organic but it does need to be raw. Pasteurization kills all the healthful enzymes.

You can get the chicks wet as long as the water is warm enough. Then you can use a hair dryer to blow dry them.
I agree, I had one that had pasty butt the first few days, I washed her good and soaked her sore little butt and then I blew dry her on med heat with a quick moving hair dryer to keep from any spot getting too hot. Once back to fluffy but status they are all set to go back to the brooder.

I fill the sink or a bowl about an inch with lukewarm water, and hold only their butt in it for a couple up minutes. I carefully pull it off piece by piece in the water as it softens. It can take a few minutes. I then gently dry the chick's down with a hand towel, and apply plain petroleum jelly to prevent it from sticking again. I don't like using my blow dryer, mainly because its lowest setting still blows my hair all over the place!

Back
Top Bottom