Pasty Butt Won't Come Off! Please Help!!!!

I only have had to do it a couple times but I trickled warm water in the bathtub put just the pasty part under it and slowly worked it with my fingers pinching it. Like ChickenCanoe and Judy said, have patience, it takes awhile, half hour even. I didn't loose any fluff. The wife did it once with a warm wet washcloth but that takes longer.

I just gently pick off any clumps of dried poop off their behinds; I always do end up pulling some fluff out, but they don't fuss much about it, and - pulling a bit of fluff off actually helps the poops not stick nearly as much. I've done this for many, many years with no ill effects whatsoever.

No one has mentioned thus far, but the best course is prevention, if at all possible. Many feel the reason chicks get pasty butt is often twofold; using low quality feed, and/or the brooder being too warm. I can speak to the low-quality feed and confirm that every time I switch back to a brand that is known to not be "top shelf," I DO see more instances of pasty butt. I cannot speak to the brooder being too warm, as I don't (wouldn't) take chances on experimenting in that way.

I fill a shallow dish with 1cm of warm water and gently wash it off of their behinds and feet

I've always heard mixing ground cornmeal into their chick starter helps prevent it. Also, no stress, some people say stress helps cause it, kids/other animals etc. messing with them the first week. Try not to bother them too much the first week.

Oh, yes. I have probiotics in their water.
these little cuties have the same problem

Last edited:
I gave all 15 of my baby chicks a bath in shallow, warm (NOT HOT) water in groups of three at a time. After a couple of minutes of soaking most fell off on its own. A couple more minutes with some gentle washing with an old rag completed the job. After each chick was done I immediately patted them dry as dry as possible with another old cloth and then put them in a covered box to make sure they didn't get chilled. All 15 were fine. No pulled feathers and none got chilled.

I'm sure this all would be a lot easier if the chick that has pasty butt a. wasn't a bantam and b. wasn't so squirmy and feisty!

One thing that helps deal with chickens who are being uncooperative when being held is to either turn the lights way down low (or off if you can still manage what you're doing without them) or drape a cloth loosely over their head. Most chickens basically shut down when they can't see (and they can't see in the dark.)

Back
Top Bottom