Pasty Butt Won't Come Off! Please Help!!!!

For me I use warm water but instead of pulling it off I use a old pair of scissors so I don't pull the fluff out and its more sanitary.

I just had to do that this morning... Olive oil works great. I only have one chick out of 11 that got pasty butt someone told me to start my chicks on Save-A-Chick Probiotics and Electrolytes and they are a regular bunch!

Last edited:
Aw. It's so cute seeing so many of these comments.
Reminds of when young people(adolescents) come here and see some of the workings of rearing non-human animate lifeforms.
I've raised poultry(& horses&dogs&cats&turkeys&,&,&....etc) for quite some time now and have seen some "events". Although I am neither a vet nor an EMT I have needed to perform some procedures to keep some of my animals alive and/or healthy. Of course I did need to call the vet sometimes. Sadly not all were saved, as is the case with just about everything I suppose.
I have tried pretty well all I have seen in this thread. I haven't tried ACV though. I think it would sting like the dickens. I have accidently got it on/in cuts and cracks on my hands and arms and would most definitely not put it on my own bum so.....
I've noticed that switching feed or or even changing the ratio of ingredients in your feed is a contributing culprit to pasty butt. Too much heat or not enough. Too much humidity or not enough. Too much water or not enough. Too much vitamins or not enough. Pre/pro-biotics, too much or not enough. Too much or not enough hours of being awake in a day tending to babies.
Something will always happen....
Last spring I got 85 chicks.15 of them got pasty butt. Plenty of warm water for cleaning and rinsing,, mild (not antibacterial) dish-soap, a toothbrush, scissors, gentleness, time and patience, gentleness,time and patience and then add a little gentleness, time and patience......works wonders.
With what I learned as a kid on the farms of my (2 sets) grandparents, the graciously shared wisdom on BYC and the previously mentioned gifts and tools I didn't lose a single chick to pasty butt I did lose quite a few to my neighbor's cat after all that.
I also raised to butcher size/age 8of10 turkeys(lost 1 to a ?cat?,1 to a 4&1/2ft free fall), 18of18 Pekins & 2(?cat?)of4 wild ?Greenwinged Teals? which eventually went south.
Although there will always be something else to happen and/or something else to try for help I have found this site is probably the best source of info and support for poultry raisers old and new and probably our best and least expensive method of flock health.
Observation and question to all. I've never noticed pasty butt on any ducklings, goslings, poults, pheasant babies or keets. Is it just a chicken thing?

Not sure if someone has already said this, but if you ferment their feed it adds probiotics to their diet and prevents pasty butt. I use a sourdough start, or vinegar. I alternate because they both do the same job, but with different bacteria. If you don't have either, you can just wet the feed and let it sit in a warm place for a week or so, until it starts bubbling and smells sweet. I ferment my adult bird feed, and my chick feed -- they all LOVE it. Ive never had a problem with pasty butt.

Solution: buy ducks :)

In all honesty there is a lot of good advice on here. Be patient, be gentle, and remember it is a chicken. Good luck!

Last edited:
I had a few chicks with pasty butts after being shipped. I used warm water and a tiny bit hydrogen peroxide. And just kept wetting it and lightly dabbing not rubbing until it started to come off. Then Dabbed them mostly dry with a paper towel they will fluff up again in no time. Then once they are all cleaned up I put a little A and D on their vent moving their feathers away and didn't have and issue after that. I good luck. Hope your little chicks stop pasting up.

I also gave my chicks gro-gel when they were weak from shipping and electrolytes in their water. I still have all 15 of my chicks and they are 7 weeks old and thriving.

Back
Top Bottom