Pasty Butt Won't Come Off! Please Help!!!!

I tried to remove the pasty butt from one of my new chicks in a basin of warm water and then blow dried her on warm and she died later that night. Now I think I should have just monitored her for a few days before putting her through so much stress. Maybe she got too cold.

WHEW!
I remedied my first RIR pasty butt a couple of days ago (thank you, YouTube) and from reading these comments, I must have done it correctly! I have another RIR chick that has a pretty big gob hanging, but wanted to monitor the first one after my treatment before I repeated the process on another.

I did the warm water basin dip, submerging their butts for about 10 seconds at a time and gently removing it with my vaseline-covered finger, followed by a warm blow-dry. The chick didn't seem to wig out too bad, and her bum definitely looks better!
I'm doing the other chick today.

Strange that only the RIR's seem to be presenting with this unpleasant condition. The 2 barred rocks and 2 orpingtons have nice, clean booties. :-D

Sorry you lost a chick
1f613.png

WHEW!
I remedied my first RIR pasty butt a couple of days ago (thank you, YouTube) and from reading these comments, I must have done it correctly! I have another RIR chick that has a pretty big gob hanging, but wanted to monitor the first one after my treatment before I repeated the process on another.

I did the warm water basin dip, submerging their butts for about 10 seconds at a time and gently removing it with my vaseline-covered finger, followed by a warm blow-dry. The chick didn't seem to wig out too bad, and her bum definitely looks better!
I'm doing the other chick today.

Strange that only the RIR's seem to be presenting with this unpleasant condition. The 2 barred rocks and 2 orpingtons have nice, clean booties. :-D

Yah sorry about that. I know losing a chick can be kinda painful. My friend recently lost 3 of 4 and I have lost 4 of 10.

I heard again about the method I used on a podcast and I am convinced I did the right thing she probably just needed more time with the others before I put that stress on her and she was eating medicated crumbles originally and I think the organic non-medicated is just too much of a change that young. One of them had a rock hard full crop and wouldn't stop chirping after 3 days on the feed so we got scared and switched back after the new one died and they seem so much happier and healthier! I will be using the medicated crumbles from now on until they're 8 weeks like I did with my last batch of chicks. I understand now.

I know it has been a long time, but I want to thank everyone who helped me in this very stressful situation. I know it seems dumb that I was freaking out so much, but these chickens mean a lot to me and I love them to death (but please don't think of me as the crazy chicken lady, although I kind of am
big_smile.png
). Anyways, the chick survived the ordeal (we later found that he was a rooster). Unfortunately, since we live in the suburbs, we could not keep him. So we sold him and even if he's being used for meat, I'm happy he survived. Sorry, I'm so overly when it comes to my chickens. Anyhow, thank you.
smile.png

Hey I'm with you. I feared loosing any of them as well especially when you work so hard to keep them alive. Funny enough the chick that was the runt who kept getting pasty butt and we always monitored, ended up being a rooster. I posted them free cause then I could monitor and ask people what they were going to do with him. It worked! I still get pics from the people who took him and my other roosters. I understand cause their my babies too. I decided to embrace it and have everyone call me the crazy chicken lady instead.

Hey I'm with you. I feared loosing any of them as well especially when you work so hard to keep them alive. Funny enough the chick that was the runt who kept getting pasty butt and we always monitored, ended up being a rooster. I posted them free cause then I could monitor and ask people what they were going to do with him. It worked! I still get pics from the people who took him and my other roosters. I understand cause their my babies too. I decided to embrace it and have everyone call me the crazy chicken lady instead.

wee.gif
D.gif

New to chickens, will be getting my first ones in a few weeks. As for the pasty butt, could you put a little olive oil or something on all their butts right away to help prevent it from sticking? Would that hurt anything?

Back
Top Bottom