Pea chick who won’t eat—failing to thrive

MaryZoe

Songster
6 Years
Jun 26, 2016
Naples, FL
My 3-4 day old pea chick won’t eat and is starting to fail. It’s never been strong and rarely pecked at anything, even when I offer bits of feed stuck to my finger. I drop water onto its beak and even then it rarely opens to drink it. Most of it drips off her beak. It hatched Sunday night, and I waited until yesterday (Wednesday) to put it in the brooder hoping it might gain strength. It’s in there with other pew chicks who are strong and a couple days older. But it just sits under the heat plate and refuses to eat. I had feed and water available in the inc’y after it hatched, but it showed no interest. Any options other than force feeding (not sure I want to try that).

I don't raise pea fowl, but have encountered similar situations with other poultry. Based on your description (and assuming the chick hasn't improved by now), I would probably try force-feeding - young birds can decline very quickly without adequate food and water intake after they've used up their yolk reserves. If you haven't already, you'll find helpful resources for force-feeding on here.

Hoping your hatchling starts doing better soon!

I don't raise pea fowl, but have encountered similar situations with other poultry. Based on your description (and assuming the chick hasn't improved by now), I would probably try force-feeding - young birds can decline very quickly without adequate food and water intake after they've used up their yolk reserves. If you haven't already, you'll find helpful resources for force-feeding on here.

Hoping your hatchling starts doing better soon!
Thank you. She didn't make it. Sad.

Back
Top Bottom